1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OE with SP2 Question ?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Money Pit, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    I've just recently installed SP2 for my XP and I'm still working through the changes. For the most part, it works great and I like it, BUT. Now when I send an attachment in Outlook Express 6, I find THIS in the message 'body' :

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:
    LittleBoy

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

IS there any way of preventing this from appearing? Thanks :) Dave

2. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    I must have you all 'stumped' with this one HUH? :) Dave

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

4. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    kiwiguy: I found this on that web site link your enclosed :
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "WarningMsgInBody"=""

All went fine until I got to "Policies" there was no such file. I see it states: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00. I have IE version 6 or am I off course here? Thanks :) Dave

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi Money Pit

That key needs to be added.

This Microsoft Knowledge Base article covers it:
    Link Sent by E-mail Is Incomplete in Subject Line and Does Not Appear in Message Body

Due to a Hotfix this message may occur.
    At the bottom of the article it shows step by step how to add the Key, String Value and Value data.

Before you edit the registry, click on the Policies folder and Export that branch as a .reg file to a folder on your desktop as a backup.

Let us know what happens.

6. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    EAFiedler: This article you referred me to, seems to keeps referring to SP1 and I have SP2 installed and it makes no reference to this warning:

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

Are we talking about the same thing? Just checking. :) Dave

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The issues are the same. The link is valid. You will notice that it has the same location for the key.

The message is hard coded into the system, you need to edit the registry as above, to disable the message.

If you are not comfortable editing the Registry (as it is putting your system at risk if you do not do it correctly) then you may need to put up with the problem.

Not sure why you are confused with SP1 and SP2 though.
    SP2 includes SP1, why do you assume it would be different?
    SP1 introduced the change, and SP2 has no need to reverse it.
    The message is designed to increase awareness, and SP2 is designed to improve security.

You do have many many choices of email program to use however, it is not compulsory to use OE?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice