Solved: OE6 - All .dbx folders will not open

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sasha-J

I started up my computer this morning and opened OE6 to read my mail and there were only 3 folders available, all created today: 1. In-Box (1) - 3 new messages; 2. Deleted Items (1) - empty;3. Misc (1) - empty. I should have 18 folders and there are a LOT of messages. I looked in 'C' Drive where the OE6 files are located and all the .dbx files are there.

Why did the system ignore them and create these 3 new ones (with the (1) behind them)? I thought I would import all the folders, but the system won't let me. I keep getting a box popping up that says, "The specified message store could not be opened. It may be in use by Outlook Express".

By the way, I have Windows 2000 Pro and scads of virus, spyware, adware software which are all up to date as are all the Microsoft 'updates'.

I guess I could move all the .dbx folders to a safe place and then re-install OE6, and then import all the former .dbx files but that is quite a bit of work and I am worried the same thing will happen the next time I start up my computer. Please help

:confused:

1) Make a new folder in OE with a different name than any you had in the past. Put those few emails into it (if you wish to keep them).
2) Close OE
3) Go to where the .DBX files are.
4) MOVE all the new duplicate files with (1) in the filename to a different folder for storage.
5) rename FOLDERS.DBX FOLDERS.OLD
6) Open up OE. Whatever sub-folders you had, will have to be put back in place, otherwise, I think that everything should show up.

sekirt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online