1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OE6 uninstall and reinstall help

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by duryvoe, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. duryvoe

duryvoe Thread Starter

I have several reasons to think my OE6 has been corrupted, tried deleting the inbox.dbx, still not able to receive mail, move or delete notes. I CAN send notes. Checked with provider and my settings are correct. I have XP pro.
    I need help to uninstall without losing all my folders and info, and then reinstall.

Error:
    An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800C0133
    Thanks

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Hi duryvoe,

Go into the Message Store folder and with OE closed delete the following DBX files.

Folders.dbx
    Outbox.dbx
    Sent Items.dbx
    Inbox.dbx

If there are messages in the Sent Items and Inbox you want, rename them to Sent Items.old and Inbox.old rather than deleting them.

Reopen OE and see if the problem persists.

T.:)

3. duryvoe

duryvoe Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try that and get back to you. How do I then retrieve the messages in the folders, etc once it is running right?

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Assuming that solves the problem, you would create a new folder in OE named test and then swap out the DBX files in the Message Store by deleting test.dbx and renaming the Sent Items.old to test.dbx.
    Then rename the folder test in OE(that should now contain the messages from Sent Items) and repeat for the Inbox.old.
    T.

5. duryvoe

duryvoe Thread Starter

How about Deleted Items.dbx?
    If I rename them, I don't have to really delete anything, right?

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Right. But they will take up space on the HD. If they don't have messages that you might want, you may as well get rid of them.
    T.

7. duryvoe

duryvoe Thread Starter

My folders are FULL of stuff I want to keep - thats why I have folders.
    Not so much the inbox and outbox.
    So, how would I retrieve the items in the Folders, if I rename it folders.old?

8. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

To be clear, the things you are deleting or renaming are the DBX files in the Message Store folder, not the folders in OE. The Folders.dbx file is a control file and does not contain messages.

9. duryvoe

duryvoe Thread Starter

Oh, ok. I didn't know that.
    Thought I would be deleting all my notes that I have saved in folders.
    I will try renaming them (you didn't say if I should also rename Deleted.dbx?)

10. duryvoe

duryvoe Thread Starter

There is also a Sent Items.bak file - what is that?

11. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

You didn't say if you have problems deleting things, but it won't hurt to do the Deleted Items.dbx too. If it has messages you want, yes rename it. Otherwise just delete the Deleted Items.dbx from the Message Store along with the others.

12. duryvoe

duryvoe Thread Starter

In the very first sentence of my note I said that I couldn't receive, move or delete notes.

Anyway, I renamed everything and it all seems to be working ok now. The only thing it did do is that all my folder's sub-folders were all rolled into one, so it is one long list of folders, with no headings. I guess I will just have to go all thru them and put them back in the folders so its easier to find them. I would have, say, Automobile as the main folder, then, 2004, 2005, 2006, etc subfolders.

13. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I missed that you couldn't delete, so it's just as well that you did the Deleted Items.dbx.
    It looks like the default folders had picked up some corruption, most likely from folder bloat.
    To minimize the chance of it happening in the future, keep the default folders (Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items, and Drafts) as small as practical by deleting unwanted messages and moving what you want to folders of your own creation.
    OE will automatically compact folders every 100 times it's opened, but if you have a high volume of mail or make frequent changes to folder content, then compact more often.
    To answer your previous question, BAK files are backups that are created when OE compacts. Usually they get sent to the Recycle Bin for storage, but sometimes they remain in the Message Store folder.

The subfolders of Automobile (and others) were reorganized as subfolders of Local Folders when a new Folders.dbx was created. To put them back where you want them, just drag and drop them in the folder tree on the left of OE to the main folder you want them as subfolders of.

If everything is OK now, you can mark the Thread solved by using the Thread Tools at the top or post back if you need further help.

T.(y)

14. duryvoe

duryvoe Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your help.
    I really appreciate it - these computers are great, but very frustrating sometimes!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!