1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: oem drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dayglo666, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dayglo666

dayglo666 Thread Starter

windows 7 in its ultimate wisdom after a bootmgr crash i was forced to reload win7 and it has now assigned my old drive as oem
    how do i access the data on an oem drive in win7 64bit any ideas guys im not a noobie and know my way around if that helps cheers

2. mel8again

mel8again

Not quite understanding. You reinstalled Win 7 on the same hard drive? If so your old window should be in a file called Windows old. You can copy and paste data from windows old to where ever you want it. Actually you could have avoided reinstalling by using a startup disk and do a bootmanager repair.

3. dayglo666

dayglo666 Thread Starter

il rephrase as mngr repair didnt work all want to be able to do is acess the files on a whole drive that windows has decided to mark as oem and wont allow me to give it a drive letter the drive is the one that my oold install is on dunno why it got marked like that but need some files of it.

4. mel8again

mel8again

I find you have to do bootmgr repair three or four times before it works. Do you see a folder named Windows.old?

5. dayglo666

dayglo666 Thread Starter

no as i cant read the drive that windows was installed on before as it has been markes as an oem partition and cant be assigned a drive letter

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Your previous Windows installation is not on a partition marked "OEM". That's the restore partition. If you ran a full restore, your previous Windows installation and all the data is gone.

7. dayglo666

dayglo666 Thread Starter

yes thats exactly where it is along with 400 gig of music on my previous boot drive that win7 has decided for some unknown reason to mark as oem

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Post a screen shot of Disk Management.

9. dayglo666

dayglo666 Thread Starter

no point it cant be assigned a drive letter windows wont do it

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice