Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: OEM Numbers

765 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  manomina 
#1 ·
Is there a program that I can run that will show me all my OEM numbers. I have a HP laptop that I installed a restore cd from a DELL cd and now it's asking me for this number (42 charactors) that I am sure I have on my desktop pc, but not sure how to extract that. I am thinking looking through my registry would not be an easy thing to do.

#2 ·
Hi and welcome!

Well, the answer to your question is YES, but what you are doing is illegal, so I won’t be able to help you. Besides that, if you enter the number and it does take it, you’ll have to ACTIVATE it and that should fail because the machine is already activated on the Dell system.

I figured I would at least fill you in on this before it sits unanswered for a longer period of time until the Admins get to it and close it.

Thanks and sorry…

Shane

#3 ·
What is being done using a dell install disk on an HP is a bit illegal as far as the product ID is concerned and also the recovery disks are written for specific model numbers and processors that are used on the machine that the OEM disk is supposed to be used on. OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer which means the HP disk can only be used on the HP computer that is it designed for and it will not work the correct way on another manufactured computer, it is sort of putting a Cadillac part in a ford pinto.

And yes what you are doing is illegal as far as everything goes. My suggestion is to purchase a legal version just like other people do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.