1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OEM vs Boxed Version

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by junialum, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. junialum

junialum Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'm pretty much excited about Vista. There have been a few shops in Singapore that have launched OEM versions of the multiple versions of Vista (Basic through Ultimate) at very very attractive prices.

What caught my eye was Vista Ultimate OEM being sold at S$333 (convert the figure to USD and it's around half the expected retail price of Vista Ultimate).

I've called Microsoft Singapore to ascertain that these vendors (who have gone public with advertising) are not hawking illegal goods and they responded that OEM versions are perfectly licensed and will be fully eligible for activation, updates, etc. In short a genuine Microsoft product.

Besides not having a box and/or the manual and maybe coming only with the CD, are there any drawbacks for buying an OEM version? Would you recommend it?

2. g0cgl

g0cgl

The only drawback is once installed it is locked to that machine/hardware configuration. No problem if you have the system you'll always want and in that circumstance I would recommend it (I have OEM Ultimate). If you change the mobo in the future you will not be able to reinstall and activate Vista OEM. Possibly, just possibly, you might be able to phone MS Singapore and talk them round but the word is that they are going to strictly enforce this.

3. Magalon

Magalon

Will say, a RAM replacement cause the OEM Vista to whine?

4. g0cgl

g0cgl

No I don't think so - it has to be something that writes a signature to the OS. The mobo is the item that does that so far as I know.

5. bigk

bigk

What? I thought they droped that idea? I thought Microsoft said that you are free to apply your current OS and key on a new computer as long as you delete the OS from the old computer.

Bigk :)

6. g0cgl

g0cgl

For the non-OEM, full and upgrade versions yes (I read that there were going to be restrictions but after complaints that was relaxed). As for OEM - I have it here and as I'm not an authority on such things I can only tell you what the licence states: 'restricted to one computer' and later there is a warning that a change of hardware will prevent re-activation. I assume by hardware they only mean mobo. Also this is the licence from MS UK, maybe it is different for MS USA and the rest of the world.

7. jvnderwe

jvnderwe

This is driving me crazy - I've heard so many conflicting reports on this issue. If my OEM copy will refuse to work should I need to replace my motherboard (or any other piece of hardware) then I am not going to buy Vista as the retail version is far too expensive. Can anybody conclusively explain exactly how this works?:confused:

8. gurutech

gurutech

This article should explain it all. You can replace a system board, but you may be forced to reactivate Vista. The only thing an OEM license does not provide is technical support for end-users, and the ability to install Vista on an entirely brand new computer. (But if you replace all the components, and keep the case, then I believe you should be OK.)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087792,00.asp

9. jvnderwe

jvnderwe

Thanks. That alleviates some of the worries I've had about purchasing Vista.

10. junialum

junialum Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. I guess my mind is made up - OEM Ultimate!

Case Solved!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice