1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Office 2000 won't install

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mbrawermanx, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mbrawermanx

mbrawermanx Thread Starter

The title says it all.

My computer crashed and I was able to restore most everything such as my printer which also requires a disk. For Office 2000, the computer acts as if no disk was in place.

The computer is a Compac Presario SR1500NX with Windows XP, Service Pack 2.

Any suggestions?

2. jp1203

jp1203

Can you get to it in "My Computer", or does it not autotrun?

Try this:

START>RUN>D:/setup.exe

(Substitute D for your CD Drive)

J.S.

Welcome to TSG!

3. DCM1519

DCM1519

After years of using it on my old computers, I tried to install MS Office 2000 three times on the computer I just built.

It would not install and gave the error "Error encountered, program will close" and then it closed with nothing installed. That message is a little too brief for me to figure out what it means.

I got sick of messing with it so installed an old version of Wrodperfect which I like better anyway. MS always insists on inserting the original CD on updates and other places and that gets old in a hurry too.

Also got the free Star Office ttoday and installed it. Wordperfiect OEM is available on the net for $12.95 and I am going to order that too since it is a newer version of mine.

4. jp1203

jp1203

If you run the admin install (START>RUN>D:/setup.exe /a, then run the setup to where the disk was installed to), you don't need the disk for anything, Office remembers where it was installed from.

I use Office 2k pro and Openoffice

5. mbrawermanx

Thank you, D,

I'll get Star Office right away.

Marvin

6. mbrawermanx

Thank you, J,

I typed D:/setup.exe into the run box and tried a number of things such as clicking OK, to no avail. Apparently my problem is that I don't know how to substitute D for my CD Drive.

Could you help me a bit more?

Marvin

7. jp1203

jp1203

You might want to try OpenOffice, which is free. I don't see a free Staroffice anywhere.

8. jp1203

jp1203

When you double-click My computer on the desktop, what do you see?

9. jp1203

jp1203

There should be an icon with a CD and it will give you the Drive letter by saying something like Compact disk (D). Usually it's D or E.

10. jp1203

jp1203

I might have just found a free staroffice, downloading it now 15 minutes for 142.4 MB, since I'm using a DSL Connection today :)

11. mbrawermanx

Thanks, J,

My Computer shows a row of icons labled with letters. One shows a disk and it is labled E.
    If I have to, I'll get StarOffice. Or would you recommend OpenOffice?

Marvin

12. jp1203

jp1203

Okay try START>RUN>E:/setup.exe (With the Office 2000 disk in the drive)

If it doesn't work, it's likely that something happened to the disk to make it unreadable, scratches, left in the sun, etc.

I installed Staroffice, and it seems to be roughly the same as openoffice, but without as much publicity or support.

Openoffice can be downloaded here: http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.3/index.html?focus=download

Don't forget to get the Java Runtime Environment http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010400.xml

13. mbrawermanx

Many thanks,

I give up on Office 2000 and will download openoffice.

Marvin

14. mbrawermanx

Thanks, J,

I downloaded Java alright but when I tried openoffice, I got an error message saying "Check the spelling." I checked carefully and saw no mistake.

Would you see if you have the URL exactly right?

Marvin

15. jp1203

jp1203

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice