Solved: Office 2007 Pro-Outlook

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pikespeakbob

I have just installed Office 2007 Pro over Office XP Pro and now cannot open Outlook, it starts automatically and says it is configuring and migrating the data but it goes nowhere-not responding. The first attached screenshot shows the message received when first starting Outlook and the second screenshot shows the next Outlook screen, it doesn't matter if you try and open in the Safe mode as it suggests or not, the result is the same-not responding. Every thing seems to be stuck in "neutral," the program stops responding.

Attachments

bearone2

Banned
remove both in add/remove programs if both show up, reboot, reinstall 2007 office.

save contacts/address book/emails before you do it if you want any of it.

Actually uninstalling Office will not delete the PST file. Just like uninstalling Word won't delete your word documents.

Now one thing you can do is create a text file with the e-mail information. Then you can simply copy and paste it back in after you install the version of office that you want. Saves a lot of typing and potential typos that way.

pikespeakbob

Bob Cerelli said:
Actually uninstalling Office will not delete the PST file. Just like uninstalling Word won't delete your word documents.

Now one thing you can do is create a text file with the e-mail information. Then you can simply copy and paste it back in after you install the version of office that you want. Saves a lot of typing and potential typos that way.
When I installed Oulook 2007 it said it would remove any older versions of Outlook, did it remove the .pst file(s) as well. The screen shots I sent show just how far I can get when trying to open Outlook, it never opens so I don't know if any data has been migrated.

Again, uninstalling Office does not remove it's data files. For example, are you Word files still there?

But always to be safe it is a good idea to backup any critical data before changing things like an Office or Operating System version.

You can always look to see if the PST file is there. You can also look at your mail configuration to see what data file you are using.

My preference is to not use the default data location but put my PST file right in My Documents. Much easier to find and backup that way

pikespeakbob

Bob Cerelli said:
Again, uninstalling Office does not remove it's data files. For example, are you Word files still there?

But always to be safe it is a good idea to backup any critical data before changing things like an Office or Operating System version.

You can always look to see if the PST file is there. You can also look at your mail configuration to see what data file you are using.

My preference is to not use the default data location but put my PST file right in My Documents. Much easier to find and backup that way
I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice but still have the same problem. Right when Outlook starts it trys to migrate data, I don't have a choice or option, and right away it's showing not responding. I did back up my data files (.pst) previously before installing this 2007 version over the 2002 version.

Perhaps you can try to make sure you know where your pst file is and backing it up; removing your outlook profile; setting up a new fresh profile from within outlook 2007; importing the pst file you backuped.

That should work. (managing profiles is done through control panel > Mail > Show profiles)

Yep. Just takes a few more seconds to point to the data file you already have and set that as the default.

So create a new profile and try that instead.

pikespeakbob

Bob Cerelli said:
Yep. Just takes a few more seconds to point to the data file you already have and set that as the default.

So create a new profile and try that instead.
That did the trick, removing the profile and then starting anew, this let Outlook actually start so I could access my e-mail and install my .pst files.
Thanks Bob and WouterSimons for your help. I've made a donation via PayPal and will show this issue solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online