1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Office 2010 Can't Open Or Save Documents in My Documents Folder

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by trippb, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trippb

trippb Thread Starter

I've experienced this problem twice in the past week. Here is my current problem:

New Windows 8 computer
    Moved Office 2010 install from old computer to new computer
    Copied all documents to new computer by installing the old drive in the new computer (NTFS to NTFS)

When trying to open any DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT, or PPTX files that are stored in the Documents folder I get permission errors. Word will open an RTF file just fine. If I try to use any Office programs to save a file to the Documents folder, I also get permission errors. I can move the file to the Desktop and work with it just fine. I can then move it back to the Documents folder.

Here are the errors when trying to open files:
    Word - Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges
    Excel - 'C:\Users\xxxxxx\Documents\Book1.xlsx' could not be found
    Powerpoint - The path or file name for C:\Users\xxxxxx\Documents\Presentation1.pptx is invalid.

When I try to use one of these programs to save to the Documents folder, I get the following error:
    You don't have permission to save in this location.

I tried copying the files two different ways to eliminate any lingering NTFS permissions. I used a linux box to copy from the old drive to EXT4, then to a linux formatted FAT drive. I plugged this FAT drive into the Windows machine and moved the files over but got the same errors. Next, I copied the files from the old drive to a FAT32 drive using another Windows box. Then I tool the FAT32 drive back to the new computer and copied the files to the Documents folder. I received the same errors.

Last week I had the same problem with slightly different circumstances. A Windows 7 computer had a failed hard drive. We installed a new drive and copied the data to the new drive. We tried all the same methods of copying with no luck. Finally, we wiped the computer clean and reinstalled Windows. When we copied the data over the last time, we used the linux box to copy all the data to the FAT drive and then plugged that drive into the computer.

I don't want to reinstall Windows on a brand new machine. What is going wrong?

2. XCubed

XCubed

3. trippb

trippb Thread Starter

You are referencing my post on the HowToGeek site. I cross-posted this problem to several sites. The solution you specifically point to is not the issue. Office is properly installed, licensed, and activated.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You need to 'Take Ownership' of the files.
    The original files are marked under NTFS as being OWNED by the original author i.e the User on the original machine.

5. trippb

trippb Thread Starter

This was done on the first copy. The second and third methods of copy stripped all NTFS permissions and ownership. The files would have assumed inherited permissions and ownership when copied to the computer. Permissions on the Desktop and Documents folders match perfectly.

The copied files are not the issue. I can't even use Word to create a file in the Documents folder. Notepad has no issues.

6. trippb

trippb Thread Starter

A thrid computer just came into our shop with a similar problem involving Adobe Reader.

We started looking at what was the same between all three computers. Any computer that comes into our shop with a current and active antivirus subscription, gets Panda's Cloud free antivirus product installed on it. They have a new component called Data Shied. That is the problem. Disabling this feature fixes the issue. We will be uninstalling Panda and finding another free solution for our customers.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I hope you mean "without" current and active AV program?

8. trippb

trippb Thread Starter

Well... Sometimes I like to remove McAfee just for the fun of it. :)

We don't let anything leave our shop without making sure it has something on it. I guess it is back to AVG. Avira is a pain for the user. Avast and BitDefender require a complex registration with the customers email. I wish AVG would pick up on more problems. Oh well. Maybe I need to become a Symantec partner and make some money on it.

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I wonder just how many pieces of software just don't get installed because of the complicated registration requirements.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1103350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice