Solved: Office 2010 strips html

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ImagingGuy2015

I have a sbs server 2003 running exchange fully updated (as of nov 16) and I have ~40 mail clients running outlook 2003 and 2007.

Over the past few months I have been bringing them over 1 at a time to 2010.

For the first month everything was fine.

Then one day a user said. "my emails are sending out with no body". I checked out his system and sure enough every email he had sent since that morning was blank in his sent box.

I had him send me a message and it was blank. When I right click on the body and select view source there is no code.

Now it seems every other day another user is randomly affected. Only the clients running 2010 have the issue. They claim they have done absolutely nothing differently.

For the time being I just switched them to rich text format and got away with that.

Now it is happening to important people and the rtf just wont cut it.

I have searched every thread I can find on google and not a single person with the same symptoms as me has found a fix.

I have tried everything from changing the default theme, default fonts, uninstall/reinstall outlook, deleting users from exchange and recreating them, REMOVING anti-virus (not just turning off, removing) antivirus from both the effected clients AND server (how dangerous is that just to troubleshoot email, stupid MS). I have tried installing/uninstalling office sp1 on clients and that also does nothing.

I am going nuts. I cannot find a single solution that even remotely fixes the issue.

I am 99% sure outlook is doing this before sending the msg to the exchange server. Just to be sure I made sure html/text was allowed in exchange global settings.

I am running out of ideas.

The craziest thing is that I have MS 2010 on my PC and everything is fine. From the behaviour I have seen so far, I could go in tomorrow and have lost all HTML functionality for no apparent reason.

Could this be some sort of registry bug? I keep all the computers up to date with windows updates and symantec endpoint (though as I mentioned I have tried completely removing it to test and there is no difference). I have clients running full AV all day with 2010 and no issues, and then boom all of a sudden it just happens, 1 at a time.

Does anyone anywhere have any simple suggestions? I have wasted days of time on this searching for an answer and have come up with nothing that works.

Thanks, Jeff

ImagingGuy2015

bump? anybody? google isnt helping much, seems there are many people stuck with this MS bug.

I have tried what has worked for a few people in threads I have read (changing fonts to automatic, uninstalling AV, checking that html is allowed globally in exchange etc.) and still no dice.

I thought maybe smtp or firewall may be doing this but even when I send emails internally on our domain I still have the HTML stripped by the sending machine.

Is there anything in group policy for HTML formatting? SBS by default has some pretty restrictive policies.

ImagingGuy2015

that is good thinking Rockn but these accounts have worked with outlook 2010 for quite soom time. Now it seems every other day a user will just lose html functionality.

I have found what I believe to be a bug in ms outlook 2010, or a misconfiguration somewhere.

I figured, hmmm. If there is some sort of problem between exchange and the PC running 2010 then I should be able to add a POP3 account and send an email and exchange will have absolutely nothing to do with the transaction.

Tried it, works NO PROBLEM.

So I thought hmmmm. WTF

Then I composed another email, and selected "send from" and selected the exchange account and send the mail.

Works NO PROBLEM.

Then I scratched my head a bit.

Then I did the following. Created a POP account with broken credentials (ie the pop account doesnt even have right username and password to make a test email).

Then made a new email with the exchange account and sent. Went through fine.

I then deleted the pop account.

Guess what, back to having no HTML email functionality in the exchange account.

So at this point, affected machines with Outlook 2010 can ONLY send HTML emails if there is a POP account in the profile. The pop account DOES NOT EVEN NEED TO BE WORKING. It just needs A pop account in the profile (even though the pop account is literally doing NOTHING, no smtp functionality of any kind, wrong username/password for pop as well) otherwise entire HTML email functionality is completely ruined in exchange.

So now I am going around adding a POP account to affected 2010 clients. Guess what works for EVERY SINGLE USER. So for us to send emails through exchange, we need to have A pop account in the profile. Even though the POP account does NO SENDING, NO RECEIVING at all, just having one loaded in the profile fixed the issue.

My only guess is that having the pop account loaded in the profile changes some sort of registry entry which allows the exchange accounts to function as they had before. I tried creating a new mail profile from scratch on the same machines and that changed nothing. The 8 machines that had this issue now MUST have a pop account in the profile just to maintain basic HTML email functionality.

Have you tried outlook in Safe mode and/or disabled any possible add ons? Anti virus possibly?

ImagingGuy2015

YES AND YES AND YES (completely uninstalled symantec end point on client and server to test)

no change in behaviour.

Cant believe having a pop account in the profile fixes it lol

what dumb luck

ImagingGuy2015

Is there anything in group policy for HTML formatting? SBS by default has some pretty restrictive policies.

I have not changed any policies since migrating to this domain back in September. Can you give me some clue as to what I should be looking for exactly? As far as I know I have imposed no limitations on HTML however I have done all windows updates up to this week on machines on the network including server and workstations.

perhaps a windows update has changed the way outlook deals with html on some machines?

either way I really need to find a proper solution to this as using a pop account to enable html emails is pretty hack

HTML emails would only be affected if you actually set policy for stuff inside of Outlook or Word. Although I don't think there has been an option to turn off Word as the email editor since Outlook 2003. When you go to Tools > Options and Internet format if is set to convert to HTML?

When you create a new message and go to Options is the HTML button highlighted?

ImagingGuy2015

yes i can set the default to html fine both from options (to make it the default), or from the ribbon in a new message.

And I am sure you have tested it sending to someone outside of your org to see if it gets stripped as well as internally? And when you create a new email the default format is HTML but it strips all formatting once it is received? I am at a loss. Maybe I will install Office 2010 and see what happens on my server....not SBS, but Exchange 2003

ImagingGuy2015

still having this issue

does anyone know of a registry value that is responcible for allowing html body to be displayed? still affecting people at random, but once it does I have not found a way to recover from this html issue.

is there any setting in the server that would be denying html email formats for certain users other than allowing it under the global parameters in ESM?

ImagingGuy2015

well the problem does not at all seem to be with the exchange server or email scanning. I believe it is a problem at the client level.

Today I created new mail profiles on my own machine which has not yet been affected by this HTML issue and added exchange accounts for all the people that have been having problems. I can send HTML out through their exchange accounts fine from my machine. So there must be some sort of registry entry that is incorrect on the affected machines, or perhaps a certian combo of windows updates/registry glitches?

I am running out of ideas here.

I have tried repairing and uninstall/ reinstall of office and nothing seems to work. Really getting frustrated as we paid quite a bit for all these office 2010 licenses and we still have several users that cannot even send html emails from their machines. very very frustrating and many hours lost trying to troubleshoot this issue.

I thought I had Office 2010, but apparently not. Anyway, were these migrations from 2003/2007 in place upgrades or uninstall/reinstalls to the newest version? I think you stated that it was initially was working and then stopped working about a month ago. I would look at any office updates that may have been applied prior to the issues you are having. Still digging around for any registry entries that might cause this.

Another thought, have you tried starting Outlook in Safe Mode? THere may also be some remnants of add-ins causing this

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online