1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: office 95, 97, word 2003, outlook?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by timex3, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timex3

timex3 Thread Starter

Hey Guys. I am running windows XP Home edition on a Dell Dimension 8300. What note keeping, letter writing, spread sheet ect. program would you suggest I use. I want something simple to use as I am "not great" on a computer yet. Is there a site to down load from and/or get it at a cheep price or even for free?

Also, is there a easy way to have a spell check tab on my Browser or some where to be able to run spell checks where ever and when ever I want?

Thanx so much! Timex

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Open Office is a good substitute for Excel and Word. But it does not have an e-mail program comparable to Outlook

3. timex3

timex3 Thread Starter

Bob, when you say outlook are you talking about the outlook program in my windows XP operating system?

4. letchworth

letchworth

Definitely give Open Office a try- great replacement for MSOffice- Free to use- Free to give away- and all future updates will be Free. Spell check is included. (Big download- but worth it). As for note taking--- the one included with Windows, Wordpad, loads fast and saves files in .rtf format that is readable in all major word processors-- but for anything else, Open Office is great--- saves files in many formats- I use .doc to be compatible with the people I exchange files with (the program has its own format, but allows you to set your own default)
    http://www.openoffice.org/

As for email program--- Thunderbird is a great program with very good junk filters in place- and Free
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Browser-- Firefox--- hands down. Built-in spell check that just caught a few typos here. Also free. (Google toolbar is optional as you install the program)
    http://www.firefox2007.de/us/

Welcome to the world of computers-
    letchworth

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Outlook does not come with XP. If comes with Office.

6. letchworth

letchworth

I think he means "Outlook Express"

7. timex3

timex3 Thread Starter

Thanx Letchworth. I think your right and I think he wanted me to E-mail him so he could sell me something. You knew what I want! Thank you Sir! Timex... :D

8. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

LOL. I doubt it.
    He was just comparing Open Office to Microsoft Office.
    Outlook Express comes with XP, Outlook comes with MS Office. They are not the same thing.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

But he also mentioned that Thunderbird was a good e-mail program. Not that OpenOffice had a replacement for Outlook.

10. letchworth

letchworth

Thank you
    I really don't think he was trying to sell you anything-- just help you (However, sometimes "the words get in the way".
    Glad I was able to help-- and hope the problem has been resolved
    letchworth

11. Jack1000

Jack1000

I thought that Open Office came with a spell check as part of the install? Clarify please. (Correction: I reread the post and now understand that the download is big, but well worth it for those looking for Office alternatives. Yes, spell-check is built into the program.)

At any rate, while MS Office is a very good program, newer versions can be bloated and the product from the earliest days of 95 seems to be tailored more towards the needs of a business user. (Hence the name, Microsoft Office.) Many have said that this program is the "industry standard." Phrases like that I think are more of a sales pitch. Most home users are only going to do Word Processing and maybe use Outlook if that's their e-mail program of choice (it's not mine!) The drawback of MS Office is the price is too steep for the home user. ($200-$450) However, in Microsoft's defense (WOW! I said that?) we are dealing with a business suit of products where not all of the home users over the years have been muti-tasking between applications as much as MS might like them to be doing.

I still have Office 97 and Word Perfect 12 for Word Processing because that's all I really do other than Internet and e-mail. The upgrades for Office that MS gives you IMHO should be more free downloads. If all you are doing is writing letters to friends and family, papers for school, Word Processing is word processing. You can do fine work in any version of MS Office, Word Perfect, Star Office, or the excellent and free alternative to MS Office called Open Office.

If you have any version of Office and it works for you on your system and you are happy with it, keep it. If you are a business user your business may require you to use Office and to upgrade to their version. (You may have a company that has a specially designed letterhead who's template is only available in Office XP or higher.) So if you are working within that company, you would have to use Office XP or higher because you would need that template.

But for the home user, I can't see too much of a difference. Keeping your computer up-to-date with proper AV protection, 3 or 4 quality malware removal programs to be checked for updates twice a month and strong firewall, plus common sense in dealing with e-mail attachments should be enough protection if you are worried about security with an older version. Be sure to set Windows or Microsoft Update to automatic or at least to be reminded when new updates are available for download.

Office 97 is ok for most home users, If you upgrade, go to Office 2003. There are still some file format issues and toolbar confusions (along with bugs) in the new Office 2007. I just wish Office was more affordable for the home user. Even the new Word 2007 as a stand-alone goes for $100 or more. I heard people who found Word Perfect as a stand-alone for about $50.

Everyone really likes Open Office as an alternative. Give it a try if you are interested in this product:

www.openoffice.org.

Jack

PS. If you have Office 2000 or lower, don't use Outlook. Use a different e-mail program. (good web-based one's are Yahoo Mail, Google, G-mail, and Mozilla Thunderbird.) Concerning Outlook 95-2000, These versions are no longer supported and are prone to viruses and stuff because today's AV checkers don't work with them. (Back than, these programs did not know how to deal with the computer security issues of today.) Use at least Outlook 2002 or higher and check for updates monthly by going to MS Office's site or running Windows or MS Update.

12. Jack1000

Jack1000

Oh,

This user asked about a spellchecker for the browser. Firefox has a built in one. You can also get an excellent spell check for IE, available from www.iespell.com

One more tip: Also, if you are one of the 50 million people still using Windows 98, STOP USING IE! (Too big of a security risk) Download and install Firefox instead.

Jack

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

One important feature that is lacking in versions of Outlook prior to Outlook98 is that there is no attachment security update. Outlook98 and later have that. In fact in is built in with the later versions.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice