1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Office Pro 2003 startup delays

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by johnni, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnni

johnni Thread Starter

I have been given an old XP Pro PC which also has Office Pro 2003 installed of which I want to use only Word and Excel.

When I click to start either of these the following sequence occurs:
    1. A box saying 'Preparing to install'
    2. A box saying 'Please wail while Windows configures MS Office Pro'
    3. A box saying 'A required installation file SKU111.CAB could not be found' and gives me a chance to browse for it. But I press Cancel.
    4. A repeat of 2.
    5. A repeat of 3. Again I press Cancel
    6. The programme (Excel or Word) opens as if nothing had happened!

Is there a way to get rid of this delay? The file (?folder) SKU111.CAB is not on the machine and I have no disks. The PC came from a well respected office company and I am sure everything installed is legal but my contact cannot help.

johnni

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Howdy johnni! :)

Open the Group Policy Editor by selecting Run from the Start Menu, and typing gpedit.msc. (If the file is missing, run mmc.exe instead. Then, select Add/Remove Snap-in from the Console menu, click Add, and double-click Group Policy. Click Finish, then Close, then Ok.)
    Expand the following branches:
    Local Computer Policy \ Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Windows Installer
    Double-click Disable Windows Installer to your right, click Enabled, and choose Always from the list. Click Ok when you're done.
    The change will take effect immediately. If you added a snap in, as described above, you don't need to "save changes to the console."

Note: If you encounter an error about the Administrator Policy the next time you try to install an application, you'll have to re-enable the Windows Installer temporarily.

That should solve your problem. But its only a workaround and as stated in the note above.

3. johnni

johnni Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I opened gpedit.msc (mmc.exe had no information in it) but couldn't find the Console menu or anything about Snap-in. But I did find Local Computer Policy and did as you suggested, and it worked.
    Now both Word and Excel open with just a brief flash of a message.

Thanks.

johnni

4. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

no prob.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice