[SOLVED] Office XP Mail Merge Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maxib

This is the first time I've tried to use the mail merge function in Office XP (I have been using Office 2000). I got the letter and envelope to both work, finally. However, whenever I try to merge an Excel list to make labels, it insists on printing only ONE label per page, not the 30 that are actually on the page. I'm using Avery 5160 labels, 3 across, 10 down. The proper template comes up when I choose the label. I insert the address block in the first label. <<Next Record>> automatically appears in all other labels on the page. When I click on Preview your labels, an address appears only in the first box. When I click backward for forward on the preview button, all of the names appear--but only in the first box. I did try to print thinking that, when printed, they would appear as 30 different labels on each page. But it prints out only ONE label per page. Quite a problem when I have almost 600 labels to print. PLEASE HELP!! I HAVE TO PRINT THESE 600 LABELS BY WEDNESDAY EVENING!

When you are ready to print, are you making sure that you are telling it to merge all records or just the first record? Also are you merging from Word with the datasource Excel or printing labels directly from Excel?

maxib

I am merging in Word using an Excel data base. I follow the steps in the Mail Merge Wizard which has me select the labels that I'm using, select the recipients, which is my Excel file, then add the address block which goes in the first label on each page (I have tried putting the address block in EACH label but that only prints an entire page of the same name) and then complete the merge. I find no place where I can tell it to merge all records. All records appear to be there, just ONE to a page. Any help greatly appreciated.

After you entered the address block, did you click the button about 2 inclhes below it that says "Update all labels" ?

I find some of the mail merge features of XP are more difficult to use thjan previous versions.

maxib

That did it! THANK YOU! I knew there was something simple I was missing. I had never seen that box before.

And you're right, Word 2000 was MUCH easier to use for a mail merge.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online