1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(solved) Office97: Mailing Labels

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by robertr2, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robertr2

robertr2 Thread Starter

When I print mailing labels in Office 97 I am given the choice of which label on which to print by row and column.
    However, no matter which row and column I choose it always prints row1/colomn1.
    I am using the Mailing Label Wizard, I have WinME, and my computer has plenty of horse power.
    Any ideas?

2. brianF

brianF

Are you checking the box to print full sheet versus 1 label row1, column 1

3. robertr2

robertr2 Thread Starter

I have chosen anything other than row 1 /column 1, but it still prints row 1 / column 1.
    I did not choose to print a whole page of labels.

4. brianF

brianF

moving to business apps, they should have a better answer on questions concerning word

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Easier to just hit the "New Document" button and type it onto the label that you want it on.

Perhaps you've got a bad printer driver or something. I don't know. I've never used the labels that way--it's a dumb feature, I've just always used new doc... I think it's easier too. But perhaps someone else has better ideas.

Hope that helps.

6. robertr2

robertr2 Thread Starter

That is exactly what I do: I open "New Document", but if I understand you I should have a replica of my label sheet, but I do not. I get a window where I can type my address, and choose the row and column, but It prints row 1 / column 1 no matter which combination I select.
    I found another way to do it in another forum. I used my Office 97 CD, and installed Avery Wizard. With this program I see a representation of the actual label sheet. Then I can print on any lable within the sheet.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Bob Burns

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Perhaps you're not getting a replica of your labels sheet because you're not viewing the gridlines. Table-Show Gridlines.

Anyway--glad you got it resolved.

8. robertr2

robertr2 Thread Starter

Perhaps you're not getting a replica of your labels sheet because you're not viewing the gridlines. Table-Show Gridlines.
    Thank you for answering my posts.
    Will you please explain what you said above? I can't find anything remotely resembling what you suggested.
    I know I now have a different way to do my labels, but I am curious about using envelop wizard.
    Bob Burns :)

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    You're using Microsoft Office Word 2000 and not Word that comes with Microsoft Works?

If so:

For labels:
    Hit Tools-Envelopes & Labels, choose Labels tab. Hit Options and choose your label number (or equivalent if not Avery). Hit OK. Hit New Document. If you don't see anything on your document, hit View-Page Layout; hit View-Zoom and choose Page Width; hit Table-Show gridlines (if it says Hide gridlines, then your gridlines should already be showing). The gridlines are the borders of the labels (which is nothing more than a table layout), but the borders are set to no color so they don't print. This way, you can type into individual labels anytime you want. If you use it a lot, then save it as a Document Template (*.dot) called "labels". Do not change the Save in location. Close the file. Everytime you want to use those labels, hit File-New and double-click "labels".

For envelopes:
    I'm not sure if you want to use the envelopes tab or not. I do not use it, I think it's nothing but a pain in the buttski. So I create a template for those too so that I can type as many as I want any time I want and not have to keep hitting Tools-Envelopes...blah, blah. You can save your printer setup this way too. Many people complain that it doesn't save the feed direction for their printer. I tell them how to create the template. Let me know if you want instructions.

10. robertr2

robertr2 Thread Starter

Maybe that is the problem. I have Office 97. ( What the heck, it was a gift).

11. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Nope. Everything works the same in Office 97. (Sorry, I don't know where I got the idea you were using 2000.)

Let me know exactly what's NOT available. I'm sure we can get these things fixed for ya.

12. robertr2

robertr2 Thread Starter

Here is the procedure I use:
    Start>New Office Document>open Mailing Label Wizard> (Here it asks me if I want to print a whole page or a single page) I choose single page. A window called "Envelops and Labels|"appears. I type in my address, and I choose single label and row 1 / column 1. But if I choose anything but 1x1 it prints 1x1.
    Question: In your reply you said:"Hit Tools-Envelops & Labels". Where is this?
    I am a victim of Excite @Home so I may delayed while I get my new internet access.
    Thanks for the help.
    Bob Burns

13. jbcalg

jbcalg

on the main menu bar text - the gray one across the top
    file, edit, insert , format, TOOLS, table, window, help

click tools
    envelope and labels - about halfway down the list

see attached .jpg (i'm using Word from Office 2000 but it's pretty much the same)

then follow Dreamboats info

Attached Files:

14. robertr2

robertr2 Thread Starter

Dreamboat and jb,
    Thanks for your help.
    It finally sunk in. I have found what you have been trying to tell me all this time.
    Bob Burns

15. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Way to go jb & Robert. Isn't it great?!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice