1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Oh, no! User Profile error.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by diemachinedie, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. diemachinedie

diemachinedie Thread Starter

Can someone give me simple instructions on correcting this? I tried the ones at Vista64.com but to much of a dunce to figure it out.
    The computer didn't come with an install CD. And we never managed to get the stupid back up CDs to even run. We've had this computer since 2008 and this is the first real major issue that we have ever truly had with it.
    I turn my computer on and now I get Logged on with a temporary profile.
    I am on Windows Vista this started yesterday.

I backed up what files I could find that mattered. I just could not back up all of them or my browsers. Because they are acting as if nothing is bookmarked in them and even add-ons are missing and all the files that I saved with Mozilla's scrapbook add-on.

It is very hard to find files on the computer... Unless you remember the exact name of any specific file you need you won't find it once you find a file you try and open the containing folder where it's located and you can try to backup all the stuff that way in that specific folder.. I am taking the time to run a virus scan on each folder before I copy over to my external hard drive.

This seemed to start after my son installed and used both Team Fortress 2 and Steam. I don't know if they were the culprits but it's odd that we started having this issue afterwards the next morning.

I ran Kaspersky and it did say Steam was a virus but most virus programs say that. So I asked for Kaspersky to remove it anyway. It didn't find any other issues.

I tried running Clean Up the toilet flushing one and it never get's out of demo mode.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

3. diemachinedie

I did system restore several different roll backs but they didn't make any changes. With the way the computer is now you can only roll it back so many days even when you click more options. I think there were only like 7 days. Off to check out the above link... At least that computer for some strange reason sees the wireless router and connects to the internet. Off to do some more checking... Thank you.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, post back with the results.

I forgot to ask what you meant by this "Clean Up the toilet flushing one", if that is a registry cleaner do not use it, Registry cleaners can do more harm than good despite what the adverts may say.

5. diemachinedie

No it just cleans old left over files from history, cookies stuff like that. I've used this program as long as it's been out, which has been longer than I've owned this computer. Never had an issue with it. . Well I did try and do what the link above said. Was I supposed to delete all the files from the new profile folder or just paste the old ones to the new profile folder omitting the ones it said. I also wasn't sure if I was supposed to log off each profile all together or just switch users. when I switched users it worked. I got errors like files in use can't be copied and file duplicate errors. I hate when I can't fix my computer never had an issue before that I could not fix.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

I would suggest you go through the guide again. You need to have three user accounts to do this fix, as the instructions explain, and you need to be logged in to the spare account, not the ones that you are moving files between. Please take the time to read the instructions again as all the answers are there.

7. diemachinedie

That's exactly what I did. I have the admin account, the old account and then the one I just created. I copied the files from the old account and pasted them into the new account folder. Going to go try it again. Thanks.

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

You just have to be sure you are only signed in to the spare account, (the one you are not making any changes to). Don't delete anything untill you have completed the moving of files and tested the new account. Then delete the old profile.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice