1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: old dell laptop cannot connect to wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by plockblock, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plockblock

plockblock Thread Starter

I am not tech savvy but i'll try to explain my problem . I was given a dell latitude cpx laptop running windows xp recently with wireless b network adapter. My modem/router is a 2wire gateway DSL . When I brought the laptop home, it did not connect to my wireless network. It was able to find my ssid though, and the signal was weak even if I was close to the modem/router. Anway, someone suggested I switch from WPA to WEP encryption because old network adapters can only detect wep encryption ( or something like that) . So I did, and still no internet connection. i tried to ping yahoo.com and still not working. My DNS and Ip adress are set to automatic and still no internet. This laptop doesn't have an LAN port, so i guess it connects through internet wirelessly only. Someone also suggested i update my drivers for wireless adapter but i don't have the original disc that came along with it. This laptop was able to connect without problem before from a different network but not mine like a week ago.. I also have2 other laptops within this network and I never had a problem with it connecting wirelessly.

ALSo i am using another laptop to make this post, not the dell latitude

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

The Dell's wireless adapter is probably Wireless "B" which most likely does not support WPA/WPA2.

I would buy a Wireless "G" USB adapter, they're fairly inexpensive.

3. jailhousews

jailhousews

Have you checked your router's wireless settings? Usually listed as "wireless network mode" it should be set to "mixed." Usually a wireless G router has backwards compatibility, but by default will only transmit G. If you want compatibility for B devices you need to change it to either "B-only" or "mixed".

Yes you can either set your router to "mixed" transmission mode and use WEP (less secure) security or you can get a wireless G adapter. I've always been told that mixed mode wireless can have dropped connection issues or slowdowns, so I would reccomend getting an adapter.

EDIT: Oops seems I was mistaken, I think most routers may be set to mixed by default, maybe it was just mine that wasn't. At any rate, it can't hurt to check.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Get the latest driver for the wireless from Dell (use the Service Tag for easier searching) if the adapter is integrated; else get it from the manufacturer's web site if it is an external card.

As the others have stated the router has to be in b or b/g mixed mode and the encryption cannot be WPA(2).

For a weak signal if the adapter is integrated check to make sure the antenna leads are secure.

5. plockblock

plockblock Thread Starter

thanks guys, i was able to fix it with your suggestions. I really appreciate it!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!