1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Old HP Tower "Locked"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ron the Geek, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ron the Geek

Ron the Geek Thread Starter

I solved one, unrelated problem with this machine but the drama continues... an old HP monstrosity with a 6gb harddrive (no typo, six gigabytes). Wanted to add another drive to the machine. Tried various drives and jumper settings. Now I'm at a point that, no matter what I do, when the machine is turned on, a "lock" icon beside the power button stays lit after several beeps from a not-so-happy PC and does nothing more. What do I need to do to unlock this? After all the trials, I just want to get it back to the way it was. Jumper was set back to CS and the very same power and ribbon cable connector attached—it's set the way it was originally—and still this "lock" thing. @#$#^%! Any ideas out there? Thanks!!
    RTG :confused:

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

HP model number?

3. norton850

norton850

Not sure what this is. I assume it looks like a lock. Anyway to submit an image of what you are seeing?

4. Ron the Geek

HP Vectra VL. Sticker on the machine is for Windows 98/NT although it was upgraded to XP Professional. It is a HUGE tower. Only had 128 mb of RAM as well as that tiny harddrive. Much as I'd like to beef it up, I'd just like to get it to boot up now.

5. Ron the Geek

Don't have a digital camera or anything...did a Google search and found several photos of the same machine. I attached one here but it's probably too low resolution to be helpful. But, if you're familiar with HP's, maybe this'll be enough to know what I'm seeing. Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. gurutech

gurutech

Can you physically open the tower? It may need the CMOS reset. The lock may show that someone (go ahead, blame the kids) tried doing something and locked it out.

7. norton850

norton850

Excuse me but I have to ask a stupid question. The "lock" icon -- is it by any chance actually the HD icon?

8. Ron the Geek

Already tried that. But, someone here mentioned that I may need to find and use a reset button. I would think that battery removal should be enough but I'm gonna look around for one. The thing is, it was working initially. I just tried adding a slave to the 6gb drive and bumping the RAM but have apparently caused a conflict somewhere.

9. Ron the Geek

Norton—no, the drive light is beside the "padlock" light and next to the power button is the "power on" light.

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Ron the Geek...

Not sure but it sounds like a keyboard lock, and you needed a key to unlock it ( don't think it will cause it to not boot )...

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Those Vectra's had a "chassis intrusion alert" from memory, which may lock them if you open the case up.

12. norton850

norton850

13. Ron the Geek

The Chassis Intrusion Alert sounds like a likely culprit. I don't have the machine on my bench right now—I've only got one on the sales floor and need to move on to the ones I can get up there fast. I swear, every PC I've taken to the floor in the last three or four weeks hasn't been on the shelf for more than two days! But I'll try all of your all's (y'all's) advice when I get the thing back on my bench. As always, many thanks!
    RTG (y)

14. Ron the Geek

Well, guys 'n gals, I'm finally back to this one... Checked out the links above and I'm still locked out. So, if anyone out there is familiar with this problem with these old HPs, I'd sure appreciate getting this one up and running, on the sales floor and out of my hair!!
    RTG :eek:

15. Ron the Geek

Okay. Opened 'er up and made sure the memory was set firmly in place since I seemed to be getting "memory beeps" and—I know I tried this before—this time she came right up. Still can't figure out the "lock" thing unless it was related to memory. Anyway, feeling stupid, I think I got this one licked.
    RTG :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice