[SOLVED] Old IBM Thinkpad

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tom10398

Hello all,

I am hoping someone can help me. I have an old IBM Thinkpad from 1995....755Cx. I have not used this computer for 6 months. Upon turning it on today, the computer immediately began to make strange noises that were not being produced by the speaker. It sounded like 3 strange tones in a row…repeating over and over. A diagram of a floppy disk and a floppy drive then appeared, with arrows indicating to insert the disk into the drive. The bottom had a diagram with arrows pointing to the “F1” key. Upon pressing this key, “I9990305” appeared in the upper left. This is as far as I was able to get. The online help assistant mentioned to reseat the hard drive. How is this done? What can I do in order to retrieve needed files from this hard drive? Thank you for your time in reading this.

Tom

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Can you get into the bios setup and reset everything there?

Tom10398

...I was able to hold F1 while turning the computer on. A setup screen came on. I clicked the "restore default" button...this didn't do anything. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Can you see the hard drive there? Is the date and time correct?

Tom10398

....there are two hard drive icons...HD1 and HD2 Both look faded and I am unable to click on them. I don't know if the time and date are correct...I'll have to check when I get home. Do I need to reseat the HD? Thanks.

Tom

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Quite possibly, especially if the bios doesn't have any information on them. It should show something about the size of the drive, the brand name of the drive, heads, sectors, or something.

Tom10398

thank you AcaCandy. I'll try reseating it when I get home. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to computer hardware...how should this be done? Thank you for all of your help.

Tom

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Very carefully and with a great deal of patience. The hardest thing will probably be finding the right screws to loosen to gain access to them. If it weren't so old, I'd recommend you get someone else who is familiar with laptops to do it. My best guess is that you don't have a big stake in any data there? If I'm wrong, you might reconsider.

Tom10398

....there are files I would rather not lose...about 4 years of presentations, etc. Should I still reseat the HD? Or is there something else I can check from that set-up screen that would tell me if this is necessary, or if the problem is software-based? Thanks again.

Tom

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Can't be software related as the computer doesn't boot that far.....does the beeping continue the whole time?

Have you tried removing the battery and just working off the adapter?

Any chance it will boot to a floppy disk?

Quite frankly, I don't recommend you attempt to open the computer. Laptops are more difficult to get around inside and since you have files you want saved and indicate your lack of experience with laptops....I wouldn't recommend you go that route. I have only opened one laptop and it still isn't working....it was an old Packard Bell and I had nothing to lose.....but it sits on a shelf with leftover pieces :D

Tom10398

The beeping does continue...it does not stop. The battery pack has not held charge for the last 2 years...I have to run it from the AC adapter all the time. As for booting from a floppy, if I have a disk in the drive, and turn the computer on, the floppy drive light will illuminate and it sounds as if the computer is accessing the floppy. Then, a "non-system disk error" appears. I know this because I tried to download some disks that might help from the IBM website...but nothing worked. Is there a floppy that I could use that would get it to boot? I just need to get it to start up once...I then can retrieve needed files anc copy them. Thanks again for all of your help.

Tom

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You can download one from here......of course the bios setup has to be set to boot to the floppy first.....not sure if that's an option that can be changed on that laptop or not......maybe floppy is default....older bios setups did things differently.

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Don't save it to floppy, save it to desktop, double click on it and follow instructions.

I'm just confirming what AcaCandy already said.
A I9990305 error is no Startable devices found. The system wants you to put a bootable floopy in the floppy drive and push F1 to continue. It sounds like your hard drive may be dead. Most of the older IBM laptops have access to the hard drive by lifting up the front of the keyboard. Usually the release latch buttons for the top lid are pulled all the way forward to release the keyboard front. BOL

Tom10398

Thank you AcaCandy and Lurker1 for the replies. I'll try to download that disk, and see if that works. I'll post a reply later tonight after I try this. If my HD is in fact dead, is there any way to retrieve files from it? Thank you again for all of your help...it is greatly appreciated.

Tom

Tom10398

AcaCandy,

I went to the link for boot disks that you gave me. My thinkpad has Windows 3.1. I didn't see a disk for this...would another windows disk work? Thanks again.

Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online