1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: old, industrial system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rainforest123, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rainforest123

rainforest123 Thread Starter

The "computer" is part of an industrial machine.

It is vintage 1994, with 2 MB of ram & a 33 MHZ cpu. Original HDD is 865 MB.

OS = MS-DOS 6

Non-system disk or disk error at boot. The owner was told to harvest data & install a new HDD & FDD. I performed those tasks. But the smallest, new HDD to which I have access is 40 GB. The 40 GB drive is not detected at boot.

The bios does not have "auto detect". The largest "pre-set" is less than 1 GB.

I cloned using Norton Ghost 2003, & put the destination drive in my bench PC. It boots to the industrial machine program.

I put the source / original drive in my bench PC & booted. It also boots to the industrial machine program.

I think there is a problem outside of the HDD.

The machine's manufacturer can offer machine support, but not computer support.

I haven't tried to boot the device with the original HDD installed, so I can't tell you if the device's bios detects the original HDD.

Suggestions?

RF123

2. KingCody

KingCody

i think you'll have to find an old ATA/33 HDD. ebay maybe??

i don't think DOS can support a 40G drive, but i could be wrong

also, out of pure curiosity, why are you attempting to fix that dinosaur anyways??

3. rainforest123

DOS is running on the large HDD. After cloning from the 865 MB HDD to the larger drive, I put the larger drive in my bench PC. It boots to the MS-DOS 6 industrial program.

The customer's industrial machine costs > $100,000.00.

RF123

4. rainforest123

Because the old, original HDD boots to the MS-DOS 6 program, I think the problem is NOT with the drive, but rather with the "motherboard" or ram.

Problem appeared, out of the blue, 21 April, upon 1st boot of the day. Things were working well through 20 April 2006.

RF123

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

Have you try-ed running a scan disk (surface scan) on the original drive when it is in the newer system? Also check that there isn't a floppy disk stuck in the original systems floppy drive when you are booting. Replacing the computer will depend on if the industrial machine relies on the computer clock timing to perform its functions.

6. rainforest123

The original drive works flawlessly in the new computer.

I have subsequently learned that I can build a computer & connect it to the industrial tool.

Thanks for your input, Luker1, et al.

RF123

7. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Thread closed per rainforest's request! ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/462292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice