1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Old password required

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by johnni, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnni

johnni Thread Starter

I just got myself into this fix on my recent 'old' XP Pro PC. I have another thread running regarding my "silent" computer which Etaf is kindly helping with but for now everything is at a stop, because in the meantime I thought I would use System Restore to go back about a month before I obtained the computer in case the sounds could be enabled that way; the restore went OK but now, on starting, it is asking me to enter a password, which is not the same as the one which was in use when I obtained it (and had since disabled). I had hoped to use Safe mode to get into Restore in order to undo my restore but even in safe mode I am asked for this unknown password.

So now I am completely locked out unless anyone has an answer.

johnni

2. Augie65

Augie65

3. johnni

johnni Thread Starter

Thanks. No, it's not the BIOS password (which is disabled), but your link seemed too terrifying for me to use!
    I'm going to have to try and find someone who used to have the PC and ask for their old password (if possible).

johnni

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, that utility works very well and is simple. To reset the admin password, you just accept all the defaults and write the results.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Do you have the original install cd from Microsoft for this old PC?

6. johnni

johnni Thread Starter

No, I was given the PC without any disks at all. If my efforts to find the correct password fail I may try Augie65's suggestion as by then I will have nothing to lose. And I only wanted to undo my System Restore!

johnni

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Just use the password reset disk.

8. johnni

johnni Thread Starter

Squashman - I assume you mean the link posted by Augie65? As I said I have no other disks.

johnni

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Your only shot at fixing this issue is to use the Password Reset disk. Floppy's and Cd-r's are cheap.

10. johnni

johnni Thread Starter

I finally obtained that password and undid my System Restore.

johnni

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!