1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Old Router as Switch - can no longer hit admin page

Discussion in 'Networking' started by oldsch00l, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldsch00l

oldsch00l Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a BT Broadband Homehub modem/router/residential gateway (192.168.1.254) – yesterday I configured an unused Belkin N150 wireless router as an additional switch (disabled DHCP and assigned ip within primary router’s subnet but not in DHCP range). All works fine, other than I can no longer hit the Belkin's admin page (192.168.1.253), browser just times out.

I am, however, able to ping it and get a response... Equally, if I connect directly to the Belkin and do an ipconfig I can see the default gateway as 192.168.1.253 but I still cannot hit the admin page.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Ross

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

With the Belkin routers that I have seen you can set it to "AP Mode" and just connect it by WAN (Modem) port to the primary router and it acts as a switch.

That's the Belkin's LAN IP right? And you connected the primary router to a Belkin LAN port, right?

Default Gateway with Dhcp server disabled?????

3. oldsch00l

oldsch00l Thread Starter

Thanks Terry, you're quite right that there is an AP mode on the Belkin - which, as I understand it, bypasses the routing/firewall functions and allows you to assign an ip. I was just trying to follow the 'standard' method for utilising a router as a switch but will give that a bash tonight and see how it goes.

Yes on both counts, 192.168.1.253 is the IP I assigned to the Belkin and the two devices are connected by their respective LAN ports (via a pair of 'homeplugs').

Sorry, my bad. What I meant is that I can see from ipconfig results that the Belkin has the expected ip address.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

If the Belkin is properly working as a switch your ipconfig should show no hint of the Belkin's IP address. Your ipconfig should look exactly the same as if you had connected directly to the primary router.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1051383