1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Old Symptoms (DMI), New Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vangrue, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vangrue

vangrue Thread Starter

Hi, I recently decided to upgrade my video card on my self-built PC with the following specs:
    WinXP Home
    Abit KV8 mobo
    Athlon64 3000+
    Radeon 9600xt AIW
    1.5gb RAM
    Antec TruePower Trio 650w PSU
    Hitachi 120gb SATA hdd
    Maxtor 200gb SATA hdd

Originally, I had a 420watt PSU with the Radeon, but installed the 650w one to go with the VisionTek Radeon x1950Pro AGP card I bought. When I installed the x1950, I found a problem I've now seen with so many other people online: The computer would hang up at the "Verifying DMI Pool" screen, and would eventually default to the second boot device. I made sure all the power cords were connected to the right places (Harddrives, mobo, video card, etc), and retried several times. Eventually I reinstalled the 9600xt, and everything worked fine.

Well, I returned the x1950 (which I now realize was unnecessary, but I'm ok with it) and bought an x1600xt AGP instead (which was cheaper and provides enough extra performance boost as it is). Anyway, the same problem is occurring. So now I've got the old card in, and every forum on the internet seems to only refer to DMI problems as a result of Hard drive, CD/DVD, CMOS, or Ram errors. I don't see how it could be in the BIOS /CMOS, as I went in and changed various settings to configure around the new card's specs.

Is there some strange incompatiblity with my motherboard (There shouldn't be, since it has a 4x/8x AGP slot, and to my knowledge that's the only real requirement for compatibility)? Is there something I'm missing?

2. vangrue

vangrue Thread Starter

Ok, I've now updated the BIOS and chipset drivers, and cleared the CMOS, just to cover all my bases. Now when I boot up with the x1600, the screen instead says "Build DMI pool" then again "Verifying DMI Pool.... Update Success" but then it still hangs. It seems like an improvement, but I'm still right where I started. Any ideas?

3. norton850

norton850

Perhaps it's time to check your hardware. Go to your HD manufacturer web site. Download and run their HD diagnostic utillity. In general you can put it on a floppy and boot from it or there will be an "iso" that you can put on a CD.

Edit: At this point what happens with the 9600?

4. vangrue

vangrue Thread Starter

Like I said, the 9600 works completely fine. The only modifier in this equation is the x1600. I seriously doubt there's anything wrong with the harddrive given this fact, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

5. vangrue

vangrue Thread Starter

Now I'm not even getting the "update success" part. Someone mentioned DMI issues stemming from the BIOS not installing or initializing drivers for new hardware, but both cards use the same drivers. There shouldn't be any conflict there, right?

6. norton850

norton850

Why it works with one video card and not the other with everything that you have tried, I don't know. No other ideas, sorry.

7. vangrue

vangrue Thread Starter

You know, I actually found a solution. It was originally a joke made by someone in another forum, but I acted on it. I got an equivalent Nvidia card, and wouldn't you know, everything works! There must be some sort of inconsistency with my mobo and the Radeon X1000 series cards, I don't know. I think it's safe to mark this one solved, though.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice