1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Oleaut32.dll

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by carltasha, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carltasha

carltasha Thread Starter

I reacently formatted a hard drive on a machine that I use only for playing Everquest . I reinstalld the first edition win 98 that I had been using for years and then started installing the game disks . there are a number of them and it went well till I got to the fourth disk when it said to me that the " oleaut32.dll " file that I had was outdated and I needed an updated virsion. I went to a Dll link and downloded the file , it was a ZIP file so I downloded the free Zip utility and unziped it but it is still on my desktop and I dont know how to use it , does anyone know ?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You should be able to save it (copy it) to the c:\windows\system directory, you'll be prompted to overwrite......you might save a backup copy of the older one, just in case.

3. carltasha

carltasha Thread Starter

Nice try . I did it just fine as you said but it still did not work . well maby the DLL file I downloaded was also old . so I down load one from another site and try do do the same thing with it but I get a message " Cannot creat or replace oleaut32. the specified file is being used by windows"

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You may have to do it in safemode.........

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

6. carltasha

carltasha Thread Starter

Good show , safe mode might do it , and reading the opening lines on the page Rog linked to I see that offic 2000 has something to do with that file and the only difference on that computer is that it did have Ofic 200 loaded . When I was looking for the file with Google I noticed reference to that program but I couldent find the disk , I may have loaded it on my wifes computer at work , I sure dont use it myself . I will get back here later , cant do it now . thanks .

7. carltasha

carltasha Thread Starter

I tryed running in safe mode , it made sense and I felt that I should have thought of it myself . Thanks AcaCandy but it didnt work and had the same results. Rogs link had 2 options ,either you had offic 2000 or you didnt and I dont so I used the fix for that , 20 seconds later I was restarting and everything worked fine , thank you guys for this and for the hundreds of other things.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice