Solved: On-board audio vs. audio card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lisakmusco

Over the past year I have replaced almost everything on my pc except the sound card. I believe the new board has onboard audio that may be better than the card I have (it is quite old). However, when we replaced the MB, we could not get the onboard audio to work, so we put in the old card and its been working fine. Due to game performance issues I've been advised that my drivers need to be updated (though audio really isn't the problem), but I don't see an updated driver for it (in fact, no win2k driver at all, which didn't even occur to me at the time of installation) on the aopen site. Can someone help me figure out how to enable the onboard audio (I don't see much instruction in the manual), or should I get a new audio card altogether?

For your onboard audio..

Specs: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=KM3M-V&class=mb

You have the VIA VT1617 Audio chip. Go here and scroll down to the bottom:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppo...st.php?part=1&kind=3&CHIP=3&COM=&Page=2&num=0

Download the VIA Smart5.1CH Sound Drivers.

This should have been on a CD that came with the motherboard.

If that doesn't get the onboard audio working, we'll need the make/model of the other sound card you're using. You need a Win2k driver, right?

lisakmusco

Thank you. I'll try the new drivers, though at the moment I'm having other issues and can't do anything with that computer -- (see new post re lost mouse/keyboard).
But for when I'm ready to proceed: Do I need to take out the other sound card first? and is there something else I need to do to enable the onboard audio, besides installing the new drivers?

Well, theoretically they should both work together.

However, to eliminate confusion, I'd remove the sound card and see if I can get the onboard sound working first.

When you reboot after taking out the sound card, go into BIOS setup and make sure the onboard audio is Enabled. It will most likely be in the Advanced Settings or Peripherals list.

lisakmusco

Ok - I'm working on this now (because the old card was causing conflicts with RCT3). I pulled the old card out, and checked the BIOS. I assume under Integrated Peripherals - VIA Onchip PCI - AC97Audio is where I need to be looking. There are two options: Auto and Disabled. It actually already was on Auto. However it does not seem to be working.
If memory serves, when I upgraded to this board, a friend who builds computers was helping me and she had troubles getting the onboard audio to work, so she installed the old card I had. I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't just go buy a new card and give up this fight.....

lisakmusco

Hmm - when I ran the updated driver install, it tells me that the onboard audio is still not enabled. Gonna reboot and try again.

What is the new mobo in the machine you are working on? Is it the MSI KM3M-V listed in your sig?

lisakmusco

Yes - that's it. Sorry - I was referring to when it was new...
Well, I rebooted and checked the BIOS setting again -- still said Auto and that and Disabled are the only choices. However, when I completed booting up, I saw it complete the installations without an error. Yet, I still had no sound. I then, just for the heck of it, tried switching the different input plugs. And when I plugged the speakers into the front of my case, voila!, I have sound. I had assumed they would plug in to the back as it did with the card (and the three sockets are there also), but this board also has front usb and audio. I thought that was only for headphones, but now my speakers work. Yippee!

lisakmusco

One other thing I was wondering. With the old audo card, I had wires connecting it to the cd/dvd-rom. Do I need to connect that to the board somewhere now?

lisakmusco

Well, I guess I just answered my own question: I tried playing a cd and it sounds fine, so I guess that connection is not needed with onboard audio. Thanks for all the help!

lisakmusco

Well, my excitement was short-lived. Audio seems to be working fine as far as music files, and even cd's, but as soon as I went into a game, audio was not working properly. I'm wondering if maybe I still have some kind of conflict?

lisakmusco

Yes, I see those three connectors, but no sound was coming out of my speakers when plugged into any of them. The only way I was getting any sound is in the front connector.

This is likely due to jumper placement on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to figure which jumper to move in order to get the sound coming from the rear I/O panel.

lisakmusco

Ok - I will look again, but I do not see anything about a jumper.

In the meantime, I think I have a conflict -- maybe from the old drivers and the new ones as I am experiencing some performance/play issues. I've posted a hijackthis log in another post (entitled driver conflicts?) that I need reviewing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online