1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] On bootup getting msg CPU speed not right. Boots 2nd time though

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joga, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joga

joga Thread Starter

The last week or so when i boot up in the morning, my computer won't boot up first time. I turn it off, boot 2nd time and it comes up. It sometimes will boot up in safemode in the bios area and says my CPU speed isnt correct. It shows the speed right there and its 800mhz, which is what i bought. What could be making this happen? Any suggestions on how i can fix this?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Your CMOS battery could be going bad and losing it's settings. I am not sure if that would make the multiplier or bus frequency to change. Have you noticed your system clock losing time lately??

3. joga

joga Thread Starter

The clock is always right on time. I have a Pentium III 800 mhz computer. When i booted it this morning, the first time i tried to boot it the red light comes on and the cd rom light blinks away but system didnt come up on monitor. I turned it off and booted it again, 2nd time it didnt, so i turned it off and booted it 3rd time, and this time the other lights started blinking and it came up just fine. I havent been getting the msg the last few days. No msg at all now, it just won't come on first try. I do know my speed is 800 mhz (at least thats what i bought and thats what the system tells me). Works fine once i get it booted up for the day.

I use a cable modem and zone alarm, if that helps any.

Thanks for whatever advice you can give me. I appreciate it.

jo

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The cmos battery had this effect on one of my computers although the time was never off. That would be my first guess as well.

Another thing you could also try is reseating the cpu.

5. joga

joga Thread Starter

Thanks for the supporting answer. Is replacing a cmos battery an easy and inexpensive thing to do, or is this a major thing? I have a CUV4X-E Motherboard. Isnt the cmos battery on the mobo? Are there instructions as to how this is done?

Thx.
    jo

Thanks for the idea of what my problem may be:)

6. ~Candy~

Look for a round shaped battery similar to those used in watches. It should pop out with little effort. Make sure you copy all of your bios settings on a piece of paper prior to doing this, as everything will need reset.

7. joga

joga Thread Starter

Hi again AcaCandy,

Thanks for this information. It's been most helpful. I just made an updated Norton Utility Rescue Zip and Diskette. Can this be used to supply the information once battery is replaced and I reboot? I also went into the bios setup area and copied all the settings down manually in each segment 1)Main 2) Advanced 3)Power & 4) Boot.

1) Is the Norton Rescue zip & Disk sufficient to restore settings?

2) Or will i have to still go back into bios setup and replace the info i copied manually above?

Thanks for the help:)

jo

8. ~Candy~

I've never used a Norton rescue disk. I believe that you'll need to phsically change all the bios settings to how they were before.

9. joga

joga Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Maybe i will now learn something new about caring for computers. It's constant. Always something to repair or fix or figure out. Thank god a simple reboot helps on some problems:)

I will pursue the suggestions you have provided. Thanks for the prompt replies.

Have a nice day!

jo

10. ~Candy~

You are very welcome. Please be sure to come back and let us know the end results! :)

11. joga

joga Thread Starter

I am so impressed:) I got my manual out to figure out what type of Cmos battery i used, went to store and bought one (on sale for 2.49 btw:). I had copied down my bios settings as instructed by you. It was easy to replace. WOW:) first time doing that job on a computer:) I reinput my settings and poof it's just fine. When i boot up in the morning i bet it works just fine the first time:)

Ok, yes I am a lady, and get a little excited when things work like this:)

This was my first time using this site. It is wonderful! Thank you so much. You see, I'm moving and trying to sell my computer, so didnt want to sell it to anyone with a defect:) Thanks again.

Happy holidays!

jo

12. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Congrats jo... Happy Holidays to you as well.

( something like what you just did scares me )

Savvy :)

13. joga

joga Thread Starter

Ok. I replaced battery and reset bios info. It wont let me change one bios item. Primary Master needs to be Auto. I cant get it to say auto. Any idea?

This one setting is keeping my zip 250 internal from being recognized. It no longer says i have a D: zip drive. hum

Any idea how to fix this one setting?

Thx:)

jo

14. joga

joga Thread Starter

Just call me gutzy:) hehe But i must admit i do love the challenge of these stupid (meant kindly:) computers. What would i do without having to repair, conjul daily:)hehe

You wont believe this, but i have relatives in Martinsville, VA. The Merricks family:) you aren't a savvy merricks are ya:)

Have a nice holiday yourself:)

jo

15. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

LOL... nope .. not a Savvy anything really...lol
    merricks... I know theres several merricks familys here.. went to school w/ a merricks guy. That of course was many mnay moons ago. Can't remember his first name...lol

see how old I am? LOL Can't say I really know any Merricks off hand except for Eddie??? He & his Mom lived one street over from me as teens..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!