1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) on front page, how to make a page the index.htm?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bj nick, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

This one if giving me fits....I made a one-page web site, but for some reason I created it in a way that makes it impossible to make it the index.htm page. Therefore, the home page remains blank, and the page I want to be the home page (and ONLY page) is invisible, because on the net it automatically goes to the index.htm page, which is blank. I know that sounds complicated, but my issue is: how do I import the page I created into the new web and make it the index.htm, or home page (the ONLY page!) Or just start a new web and import the page I created....? all i want if for my one page web to be publishable, and right now what you see on the internet is nothing, because there's no home page....

Help!

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

open FP
    open the one page web
    file, import, add file
    tell it where to find the page you want to add (ie open)
    ok

now on the left side window you have index.htm and the_page_you_want_to_be_index.html

right click on index.htm, rename, change it to something else
    right click on the_page_you_want_to_be_index.htm, rename, change it to index.htm

upload it through FP or your FTP client

it doesn't matter much these days, but some web servers want .html instead of .htm
    and some want home.whatever instead of index.whatever

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hey jbcalg- thanks for the help. I've created several webs that are already up and running but this one has really been a pain for some reason. I am confused, because I've tried to mess with this little site so many times...there were like 7 different versions of my feeble attempts (my webs 1,2,3,4, etc.) I deleted all of them, I think, but could you guide me on this from creating a new one-page web with the page I already have created? (that's all it will be is one page...)
    Because it's confusing to me working from what I already have.

In other words...starting from scratch and opening a new one-page web, then importing my page, making sure it's the index.htm, and that's it. I tried to do what you said, but I was confused by "the left side window"...what left side window? I wasn't sure what view I was supposed to be in and just got more lost. Frontpage file structure is terribly confusing to me.

I really appreciate it.

4. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Never mind...I tried to do it over and over again and it just wouldn't work so I redid the whole thing and now the site is up. Thanks for your response. I still would like to know what I did wrong...

5. jbcalg

jbcalg

hmmm, sorry - just got here

i use FP2000 and the default view has a split screen, adjustable width
    - narrow pane on the left with the web folders and files form the current website
    - wide pane on the right with the 'normal' view / html code view / preview view tabs

like this

ooook - that didn't work, see the attached .jpg - next post

i think i've got some tutorial links somewhere, let me look around

post the site link please

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

here's what my FP screen looks like

Attached Files:

7. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Ok... I see....thanks for the help. I've had some different posts lately, so I'm not sure I thanked you yet for the renaming tip on index.htm. That's essentially what I did after redoing the site. I changed the new page to index.htm, and just tossed the other page. And...it works perfectly, so thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice