1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Onboard sound issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lisakmusco, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisakmusco

lisakmusco Thread Starter

So, I am in the midst of rebuilding/upgrading my computers. At the moment only one is operational. Basically #1, but with the drives of #2. The strange thing is, when I put the HDD from #2 into the system, I get no sound. It boots up fine and all else seems to work, except no sound -- and no broadband internet connection (even though my modem implies it has made a connection, but no pages open). With the HDD from #1, everything works perfectly. I change nothing else except for the HDD.

Because I have recently had all sorts of issues and troubleshooting that went on with #2 (to eventually find that the MB had gone bad) I have even done both a windows repair install, and a clean install (including formatting the drive). Same thing still happens.

I posted a similar thread in the networking forum (for the internet access part of this issue) last night, with no answers so far, but I wasn't sure if some of you stick to only certain forums and figured I'd increase my chances of an answer this way. My apologies if that is not acceptable.

2. Flags

Flags

With HDD#2 in your machine, check Device Manager for any yellow ? marks.
    I'll bet you need some drivers.

3. lisakmusco

You know, there were some unidentified new hardware marks when I first just plugged in the HDD and booted up. But then I formatted the drive and reinstalled XP. I did not think to check the device manager again after that. I will check that tonight.

Unfortunately, along with the no sound, I can't access the internet with that HDD installed, so I have been unable to update/patch windows, but I have an idea -- going to install an old dialup modem and see if I can connect that way, and update windows and my drivers and see if that helps. Its really odd though that when I put a different HDD in the same system everything works.

4. Flags

Flags

Using a HDD from another machine usually results in no boot. I say usually, because for some unknown reason if you say absolutely, you are proven wrong.

However, your new HDD probably needs an Audio and Ethernet controller driver to complete the transfer.

In Device Manager, on any device that has a yellow ? mark, right click and choose Reinstall driver. If that doesn't work you will have to go to the PC maker's site or the Mobo's site for the drivers.

It is possible that Windows will recognize a dial-up modem and install the drivers automatically, but installing Ethernet drivers would be better.

5. lisakmusco

Well, in this case...the usually is proven wrong, because it did boot. However, the stranger thing is -- I actually formatted the HDD and reinstalled windows anyway. I did not receive any errors during the install, yet the sound is not working, nor is the ethernet controller.
    I did check Device Manager and there are a few unidentified items with yellow ?. However, when I tried updating/reinstalling the drivers of one of those devices it still failed.
    I was able to install the dial-up modem and connect that way. I did begin running windows update and applying the patches and updates (there were a ton of them), and am hoping that it will also find and update the applicable drivers. If not, then I will go to the MSI site and update from there. Hopefully between those two this will get resolved.

I can get around the sound issue if I have to with a sound card -- in fact the system that this HDD was in had a sound card originally, so I can always reinstall that if I have to. The bigger issue is actually the broadband/ethernet internet. I shall continue to try updating drivers and patches tonight.

6. Flags

Flags

Quote: in fact the system that this HDD was in had a sound card originally.

That says it all. Your HDD has no drivers for the onboard audio. Go to the Mobo makers site and find them. When you formatted the HDD, you wiped almost all the drivers.

While you're there, find the Ethernet Controller driver too.

7. lisakmusco

Oh what an idiot I am! I just needed to install the drivers directly from MSI. I guess windows didn't have drivers for the onboard sound, and it is different from the sound that was on the previous board....I popped in the MSI disc and loaded the sound and system drivers and all is well.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/709560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice