1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Once off Conversion of PDF to Word

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by edward36, Sep 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edward36

edward36 Thread Starter

Are there any low cost methods of converting PDF to Word? I seldom need this service so it would be uneconomical to buy a complete program for that purpose. Thanks a lot.

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Try This and let us know what you think.
    I've used the OCR built into M$ Office but it doesn't do well with the formatting or pictures

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If you have a scanner, try the OCR program that came with it, most of them can read a pdf file.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Portable Libre Office??

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    hmmm, didn't realize there was a portable version
    http://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice_portable/
    Thanks for mentioning it.

I might have to play around with this.

We have various versions of MS Office and Corel WP Suite on the desktop computers. I only have Abiword on my netbook because I don't need a full office, just want to view some things I might get in emails.
    The portable version of LibreOffice might give me more options.

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You should look at Kingsoft Office Portable and Softmaker Office Portable as well

9. edward36

edward36 Thread Starter

I submitted (uploaded) the PDF file, did the rest, like giving them my email address. All the while I could see how the conversion was taking place: a thermometer like tube showed the progress and when it reached the end I was given a message that I would get an email in due course. I had a peep at what they said about the speed at which emails were sent out. The free service they gave as a three day delay, the first level of payment reduced the delay to 2 days and the highest amount of money brought it down to 1 day. But my email arrived within about 5 minutes. So I opened the attachment and got beautifully executed docx of more than 100 pages. These people offer an excellent service at no payment. I notice some other organizations only convert (say) the first 5 pages .. before one has to pay for more. Thanks for the suggestion. I meant a lot to me since I am also retired (and need to turn over the pennies). Ove

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    DaveBurnett, I don't like Kingsoft. They were "in my face" too much.

As far as Libre Office, my error was in believing a post that it could convert pdf to doc easily. I installed it on a USB stick and opened a pdf on my computer. Libre Office opened it with the drawing part of the office suite. I don't want have to have convert a darwing to something else then into doc! I won't be recommending Libre Office as being able to do this again.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1133010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice