1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Once PC attached to 2 networks won't run at same time

Discussion in 'Networking' started by seven, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seven

seven Thread Starter

I have a company LAN and a wireless connection the a cable modem for internet.
    Each adapter has to be disabled for the other to work.

OS is either Win2k or WinXP.

Is this normal or can I change something to get my applications from the company network to run whilst the internet is active??

2. fabulous

fabulous

set the internet connection as the default gateway

3. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Well, fabulous is only giving you part of the answer. The whole answer is you need to configure your routes correctly to access both at the same time. The default gateway route pointing to the internet is only one route you need to add, the other route(s) you need to add are to point any company network addresses toward the company router interface.

Type "route print" to see what your routing table currently looks like, and type "route add" to see examples of how to add routes from the command line.

-Scott

4. seven

seven Thread Starter

How Do I copy from the MS-Dos screen and past it into notepad without the tesxt jumping everywhere?

5. 5mi11er

5mi11er

It depends on how the ms-dos properties are configured. Under 2k, select "quick edit" and "insert mode", then you should be able to highlight everything you want to copy, then click either the left or right button while pointing at the highlighted stuff, then go to notepad and right-click, paste.

6. seven

seven Thread Starter

ok. I have looked at the routing table and it shows both nic addresses (wireless and local LAN) with both routers as gateways. At the bottom of the page the default gateway is the wireless which is working fine. Is the Default gateway making the Local LAN look at that and not the correct router?

7. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

<b>How Do I copy from the MS-Dos screen and past it into notepad without the tesxt jumping everywhere?</b>

Go to the MS-Dos symbal in the upper left part of the window. Pull down the menu to Edit>Mark. Now you can select test in the window using the mouse. Hit Enter and you are now ready to paste.

8. seven

seven Thread Starter

Thanks Monstrous.

Do you know how to run two gateways together so I can access the internet on one router and the other applications through the office Router?

9. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Yes, no, sort of. The default gateway entry says "If I (that machine) don't otherwise know how to get somewhere, this is where to send my traffic". That should point toward the internet. You need to add routes for the company networks so that traffic that should be destined for those networks go out the right interface, the right interface being the one that is not pointed toward the internet. You do that by pointing those networks to the router on that network.

So, say the company uses three class C addresses: 123.45.67.x - 123.45.69.x and your PC has an address of 123.45.69.58 and the router on that segment has address 123.45.69.1. You'd need to add the following routes to your PC:

route add 123.45.67.0 mask 255.255.255.0 123.45.69.1
    route add 123.45.68.0 mask 255.255.255.0 123.45.69.1

Note you don't need to specifically add the route for the network you are directly connected to, just the ones you are not directly connected to.

If the company uses a much larger network range, then you should probably talk to the network engineers/architects because they'll be able to tell you the minimal number of routes you need to add to that PC, and how to do it.

-Scott

10. seven

seven Thread Starter

5Mi11er your a STAR!

It worked!

Thanks for all your help fabulous, 5Mi11er and Monstrous MI

11. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi, seven.
    We've got a new option for users under Thread Tools, you can now marked your own threads solved.

Thanks!
    (I'll let you do it so you can see it.)

12. seven

seven Thread Starter

How do I do that Dreamboat?

13. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Go to the top of this page. There's a bar that runs across that has a dropdown menu called "Thread Tools".

Hit it, then choose Mark Solved.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!