1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: One brass standoff missing - continue???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dear Prudence, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dear Prudence

Dear Prudence Thread Starter

:rolleyes: Hi

This is my first motherboard/CPU installation.

Removed the old mobo - which had 9 screws for 9 holes.

Went to install new ATX FORM motherboard - it has 10 holes.

So I am one brass hex standoff down.

On the case there is a machined hole for a standoff that matches the new case.

MY QUESTION

Is it safe to continue installing the motherboard - which will have 9 standoffs
    instead of 10?

Thanks.

Stephen

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

You won't hurt anything by leaving one out. I would suggest the one you leave out be near the center of the board.

3. mknott

mknott

im not 100% sure what your refuring to but heres what i think :)

if your meaning the brass bolts that you screw into your case first and then your motherboard screws into them then yes its perficly safe to miss one.

try to leave the missing onein a place where you wont need to push on the board tho so not near your espansion slots ect.

it is also possiable to get some extra bolts and some migth even have come with your new motherboard.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Motherboards do not come with standoffs; they are case specific.

As posted above it is fine to leave out one standoff however do check that the existing standoffs are in fact where they are supposed to be. I usually use something like a sharpie or a pencil to mark where standoffs need to be installed.

To do this, pull the IO plate from the case. Now place the board in the case where it needs to go. Mark where you need to install standoffs; remove the board. Install standoffs and replace the IO plate. Place the board on the standoffs and slide into the IO plate; secure with screws.

5. muntez

muntez

what motherboard is that

6. Dear Prudence

Dear Prudence Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!