1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: One minute freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nuklearpenguin, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nuklearpenguin

Nuklearpenguin Thread Starter

Hi!

When my computer is under relatively heavy load or I'm downloading really fast (4-9 Mbyte/sec) I experience these annoying freezes, that last for about one minute then everything is back to normal. During these freezes the little red led stays lit and i can only move the mouse maybe click something on the taskbar, but nothing else. Also sometimes these freezes last longer and after a while a blue screen appears with a page fault or some other error.

I suspect hardware failure because i already formatted the drive on which my windows is installed multiple times and it didn't solve the problem.

Could it be my power supply not being able to handle the load or the HDD is giving in?

Specs:

PSU: LC-8460BTX 450 Watt ATX Switching Power Supply
    CPU: Core 2 duo E4600 @ 2.4 Ghz
    GPU: Geforce 9600GT
    HDD: ST3250310AS ATA

I just want to know if anybody else experienced this and eventually which component do I have to replace.

Thanks in advance!

2. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

You can boot up a linux cdrom with a LIVE os like Ubuntu and use the web browser for a while, watch youtube vids etc - see if there is any issue.

If not then maybe it is the Hard drive - you can run manufacturer diagnostics to check the drive.

Mind you if it is a faulty HDD loading the controller then it may still stall... but it's a good thing to try anyway as it eliminates Windows from the picture.

3. raybro

raybro

Please download and run the TSG System Info Utility then copy/paste the results in a reply to this thread.

4. Nuklearpenguin

Hi!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1), 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 99998 MB, Free - 7258 MB; D: Total - 138474 MB, Free - 25274 MB;
    Motherboard: ECS, G31T-M
    Antivirus: Panda Cloud Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

5. raybro

raybro

There are 2 items in your specs I would give consideration.

1. The amount of free space on your C:/ drive is down to about 7%. Rule of thumb minimum free space is15%. Windows needs drive space for numerous operations and that space will be reported as free space. So it is somewhat misleading. If the C:/ and D:/ drive are partitions on the same drive, you might consider decreasing the size of D:/ (which is at 18% free space) and increasing the size of C:/. Alternatively, uninstall of some programs (particularly games) you no longer use or delete some graphic files (photos, videos) to free up some space on C:/

2. You are running on the minimum recommended RAM of 2GB (See this MS web page). Its been my experience you cannot have to much RAM. Operating at minimum RAM allows the system to slow down when any extraordinary demands are required. I suggest you consider increasing your RAM to at least 4 GB.

Other things to consider. Clean up temp files and cookies. CCleaner does a good job of the cleanup process. WARNING: Do not run the Registry Tool in CCleaner.. Then Defragment the drive.

6. Nuklearpenguin

Allright! thank you!

The free space is not a problem since I had these problems even when the drive was formatted.

Also it ran ok for about 2 years on 2 Gigs but I am planning on getting more RAM and it could be that the RAMs are already old and doing invalid memory access or something. I will mark this thread as solved for now thannks for the advices!

7. Krash

Krash

Red light = HDD activity light?
    Does the HDD make a whining or grinding sound when this happens?
    If it does, see if you can run a scan using HDD Tune and check for warnings in the Health tab.

8. Nuklearpenguin

Honestly I don't know if it's the HDD or CPU light, i think it's the CPU, that's the standard led on the case isn't it?

Also the HDD doesn't make a sound.

9. Krash

Krash

Usually there is a power light and and an HDD activity light.
    The second one will flash when the drives are accessed for data. Since you mentioned the download and heavy activity, which usually involve HDD activity, I thought to check them.
    Well even if the HDD doesn't make any sound you could run the scan and see if there are any warnings.
    You can get the trial version here - http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

In the health tab, you'd see a "current" and then "worst" fields followed by a threshold. The "current" value should not be lower than the "threshold" value. If it is, tiz time to back your data up ASAP. Try this if you have time. This could also lead to such freezes.

10. Nuklearpenguin

So it's the HDD light, allright then, thank you for your response!

11. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Yes not having at minimum 15% of the total drives size free is a huge problem as was stated. Even though it may not be related to your current problem it will lead to major slow downs. How old is your power supply and the make and model? Also ECS are low quality boards so I would check the motherboard for bad caps as that will cause the issue you're having.

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

12. Nuklearpenguin

Well my powersupply had to be changed about a year ago, but if I recall correctly the guy put in a used one to cut costs.

As stated in the original post, it's a LC-8460BTX 450 Watt ATX Switching Power Supply

13. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Using a low quality power supply is never a good idea, but used is just asking for trouble. As I stated, ECS are a low tier motherboard so I would check the motherboard for any damaged capacitors.

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

14. Nuklearpenguin

Awesome, thank you!

I found this on the page you suggested:

BSoD or hard freeze under heavy drive activity (Either RAID, SCSI, or standard ATA)

So it's probably that.

15. raybro

raybro

What is the brand of your HDD?

If its a Western Digital, you can download WD Diagnostics.

If Seagate, download SeaTools.

Then you also have the Windows HDD error checking utility. Right click on the C:/ drive in My Computer and select Properties>Tools tab and click Check.

Other free tools available:
    HDTune
    HDTach

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice