1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: one rogue computer - limited or no connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bangkokbus, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bangkokbus

bangkokbus Thread Starter

Hello from Bangkok again.
    All except one of our school's computers have been upgraded (!) from a pirated Windows XP to a genuine Windows 2000 operating system. The internet connections worked fine for a couple of weeks, but then the one XP computer suddenly started having connectivity problems. It shows "Limited or no connectivity" status.

I've spent a couple of hours going thru threads here at TechGuy and other places on the web, and still can't find a ready solution.

First, i tried John Will's solution for TCP/IP stack repair. I did that when a problem occurred 6 months ago, and it worked like a charm. No such luck this time. Well, after doing that (but before rebooting), it does show a perfectly normal "connected" status, but still IE6 doesn't display anything. Then i reboot, and i'm back to the condition below:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Teacher001
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-EC-9D-C0-05
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.46.42
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

From the Microsoft site:::::If your local IP address is returned as 169.254.y.z with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, the IP address was assigned by the Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) feature of Windows XP Professional. This assignment means that TCP/IP is configured for automatic configuration, that no DHCP server was found, and that no alternative configuration is specified. This configuration has no default gateway for the interface.

I tried starting and stopping DHCP server in Administrative Tools - Services, but no luck. What can i do now? I'm hoping to reformat this machine too in a couple of weeks and put genuine Windows 2000 on it, but for now, it is necessary to have it work as is......

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are you SURE that the cable and port on the switch is good? Have you tried changing both? You may also have a bad NIC in the machine.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You need to have the DHCP service running on the computer. The "Dhcp server" mentioned in the Microsoft info is the Dhcp server on your router or Server, whatever is "controlling" the overall network. I assume that you are using dynamic addresses, not manually assigned static, on the network.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Normally, the IP address is 0.0.0.0 if the DHCP service is not running on th workstation. :)

5. bangkokbus

bangkokbus Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion about checking hardware. I used to be a software engineer, and still am averse to even thinking about possible hardware problems. I unplugged the jack from the router, and plugged it into a different port, and presto - connection! Thanks for the help :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!