1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OneNote 2013 Free error message "The file or directory is corrupted and unrea

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by melanirudolph, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melanirudolph

melanirudolph Thread Starter

Hi all,

I was using the OneNote 2013 free edition on my Windows 8.1 computer without any problems for months. Now, I dont know, why all of a sudden this application just doesnt want to open anymore? I have already tried to reinstall it from the CD, have done repair, online repair, etc. But still it will not open at all. All I get is the below error message after launching it - "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\ONENOTE.EXE The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

2. draceplace

draceplace

Welcome to TSG melanirudolph!
    I would do a repair on office and/or reinstall one note. I don't use One Note but this is a standard fix. if your lucky there is a problem with office installation files. Unlucky would be a failing hard disk.

3. draceplace

draceplace

After re reading the post after markus post, I see you had already done what I recommended. marcus post is a assuming you have a back up (I assume:) )

The question I have is can you navigate to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\ONENOTE.EXE folder and double click onenote.exe?

4. hernanmantilla

hernanmantilla

1. Recover information from a section file backup:

To recover your information from a section file backup, do one of the following:
    - If the damage to your information is minor, copy and paste the missing or damaged information from a backup copy of the section file to the repaired section file.
    To do this, follow these steps:
    - With the repaired section open, on the Help menu, click Open Backup.
    - In the File Open dialog box, click one of the pre-repair backup files, and then click Open.

Note: You may have multiple pre-repair backup files. Select the file with the latest file date and time when you to try to recover your missing or damaged information. If this file does not give you the information that you must have, try a different file.
    -Select the backup section file that you must have, and then click Open.

Note: You now have two sections that appear have the same name.

However, if you rest your mouse pointer over the section tab that you opened, the ToolTip for the section tab will have "(backup)" as part of the section name.
    - In the backup section, select the information that is missing in your repaired section.
    -On the Edit menu, click Copy.
    -In the repaired section that contains the damaged or missing information, put the insertion point where you want the replacement information to appear, and then click Paste on the Edit menu.
    -Repeat steps 4, 5, and 6 until you have replaced the information that is missing in your repaired section.
    -While you have the backup section open, click Close on the File menu.

2. Apply third party software, ONLY in case this method and other methods from Microsoft can't assist you. There are numerous third party tool on the market, but you may start with OneNote Repair Toolbox http://www.onenote.repairtoolbox.com/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice