1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OneNote Screen Clippings Erratic Behaviour

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Steve8rox, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steve8rox

Steve8rox Thread Starter

]I have Win XP and OneNote 2010.

Often but not always, ON. greys my target but does not transfer to its page on the first attempt. I had tried waiting patiently for the transfer without any success. I discovered that, when it seems to hibernate like this, I can get my desired result by re-requesting the Screen Clipping feature. 2nd attempt always works -- never fails. Any ideas why I have to repeat so often ?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    When you say "transfer" do you mean a copy and paste?
    If NOT, what are you tring to do?

3. Steve8rox

Steve8rox Thread Starter

Dave,

The Screen Clipping will go to work, allowing me to select the portion of the screen that I'm interested in clipping into One Note.

Then, more often than not, nothing happens thereafter. I've learned to repeat my procedure to get a successful clipping transfer to 1N.

No big deal, but I'm curious as to why it only works 30% ~ 40% of the time, initially, instead of all the time on first attempt.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I normally do not use "Screen Clipping", but I tried several times and could NOT get it to fail.

When it fails again, think about what you have been doing just before tried this. Such as how many windows are open, what programs are running, and have you done several screen clippings in a row.

5. Steve8rox

Steve8rox Thread Starter

Dave,

Thanks for your advice, time and mental energy.

I stumbled upon the source of my pet peeve. In retrospect,
    I foolishly missed a key word / phrase up on the top line.

I had been using OneNote 2007 for some time. Not too long ago, my wife purchased ON.2010 at, of all places, a church bazaar here in Busan, South Korea, for the equivalent of US 3 bucks.

From the typos/misspelling on the cover, I realized it was a "Shanghai copy". I loaded it and was surprised that it worked fine. However, I didn't trust this copy completely so I never deleted ON.2007.

I'm an old geezer English prof [ Canadian, relatively newbie user ] in a high-tech hi-speed but non-English speaking environment. That's why I appreciate your helpfulness.

At any rate, I've ended up with my vast collection of Notes in two formats, without realizing this.

Had I courageously deleted the older, legitimate version initially, this problem would have never cropped up. I've confused my poor 7-year old PC.

The tipoff was the " Compatibility Mode " above, which I overlooked. This Monday morning I just got a pop-up which asked if I want to convert all my Notes [ to 2010 version ], which I did. No more delays/repeat action needed. Works fine the first time, every time.

I've dumped the legal 2007 version since the "copy" seems trouble-free.

Thanks again, and have a fantastic day ! If you're ever in Busan, Dave, the beers are all on me.

6. Steve8rox

Steve8rox Thread Starter

Dave,

Thanks for your advice, time and mental energy.

I stumbled upon the source of my pet peeve. In retrospect,
    I foolishly missed a key word / phrase up on the top line.

I had been using OneNote 2007 for some time. Not too long ago, my wife purchased ON.2010 at, of all places, a church bazaar here in Busan, South Korea, for the equivalent of US 3 bucks.

From the typos/misspelling on the cover, I realized it was a "Shanghai copy". I loaded it and was surprised that it worked fine. However, I didn't trust this copy completely so I never deleted ON.2007.

I'm an old geezer English prof [ Canadian, relatively newbie user ] in a high-tech hi-speed but non-English speaking environment. That's why I appreciate your helpfulness.

At any rate, I've ended up with my vast collection of Notes in two formats, without realizing this.

Had I courageously deleted the older, legitimate version initially, after a trial period, this problem would have never cropped up. I've confused my poor 7-year old PC.

The tipoff was the " Compatibility Mode " above, which I overlooked. This Monday morning I just got a pop-up which asked if I want to convert all my Notes [ to 2010 version ], which I did. No more delays/repeat action needed. Works fine the first time, every time.

I've dumped the legal 2007 version since the "copy" seems trouble-free.

Thanks again, and have a fantastic day ! If you're ever in Busan, Dave, the beers are all on me.

Steve

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!