1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: only able to start in safe mode, problem started after i switched to zonealarm pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dmonixed, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmonixed

dmonixed Thread Starter

switched from free version to free trial, then after i continued to work and it said during install i would have to restart for setting to take effect but it seemed that i was able to start changing settings in zonealarm pro and went from yellow color in program to a purple of some sort, then all of a sudden computer froze, ctrl alt del and task manager nothin happens try ctl alt del, nothin so i unplug my machine and reboot and it shows a blue screen that say windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer, and then tells me what to do if it occurs again, so i reboot and it does it again then i reboot in safe mode and it works fine so i uninstalled zone alarm and restarted same problem i forgot to write down the error so i will try it again to find out what it was i havent fixed anything yet so should still be having a problem, let me know if there is anything you know that will help from what i have here, ALRIGHT HERES THE ERROR INFO I GOT

this is it word for word but basically it told me to check these things:
    adequate disk space: yes
    is there a driver in stop space: ?
    if so disable driver or check for updates
    check with hardware vendor for BIOS update
    disable BIOS Memory options- Caching or Shadowing

Technical Info
    ***STOP: 0x000008E ( 0xC000005, 0x82F4BE22, OxF8AE4F94, 0x0000000)

that is all it says...how can i change these BIOS MEM OPTIONS and is that a driver that is listed in the stop space somebody please help, i cant even put im right now im gettin worried, and i just had my computer running damn well to, and was on my way to gettin it optimized this is a big setback, appreciate any feedback :confused:

my pc is xp home sp2, i will provide any info you need to help me solve this problem

2. dmonixed

dmonixed Thread Starter

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Restart the computer,

To load the last known good configuration in Windows 2000 / XP reboot the computer and as it's booting booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Last Known Good Configuration" and press your Enter key.

This sometimes works, sometimes not. That probably will not help, as you have tried to start up in Normal mode so the LKGC has been reset and will fail....

Your other option is System Restore, you can try a Restore and then undo that, if you do not get any improvement.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000626.htm

In that case, a System Restore might work if you have that enabled and have a Restore Point to go back to!

NOTE what it says about reinstalling some programs afterward. Hope this helps you.

The other option is a Repair Install, which you can do from a normal Windows XP CD, but usually not from a computer branded type Restore CD which only has a choice of format and reinstall to factory specs...bummer!

"""If the capability to boot into Windows XP is still available and the steps listed in the warning did not help the situation, you can use an OEM XP Pro or Home, "retail" full version or upgrade CD of the same version Home or Pro to perform a Repair Install. OEM Restore disks will not work for the Repair Install."" What this means is you may use a Retail XP Home CD to try to repair your operating system, if you can find one to use that is.

A Repair Install does not affect your data, programs etc, just Windows....so I don't know if it would even help with a driver/software issue. You have to know how to do it, so here:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/

Basically, it's putting in the CD and at the right time, pressing the right key...as you will read.

4. dmonixed

dmonixed Thread Starter

last known good configuration did the trick for now thank you

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!