1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Open office software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dano_61, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Hi

I just downloaded Open Office, word program only, yet it says it is 239 MB on hard drive, that can't be ?

Dan

2. ferrija1

ferrija1

Look at your hard drives properties.

3. letchworth

letchworth

It is actually a suite (you get all the "programs" at once)-- I also think it includes Java RE in the download (though, don't quote me on that).

Unfortunately, you can't download only the parts you want. The good news is--- You got it all.
    letchworth

4. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

No you can choose what you want, yes it is java also but i choose just word and thats all that is showing up in my system but the in the add remove it shows 239 mb

5. letchworth

letchworth

Maybe you're teaching me something- Please explain how you chose to download and/or install only the word processor module/portion. I'd be interested

letchworth

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start the install and pick a custom installation.

7. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

In the download there is a option to download all or custom, in custom you have to click on the + beside each program option then right click, it will give you a option to load it or don't load each option. It's actually called writer not word, sorry.

I know it worked because word is the only program that loaded

We are talking about Open Office right

Dan

8. letchworth

letchworth

My apologies for writing incorrectly. I have used OpenOffice exclusively for about 5 years- both at home and office. Originally primarily Writer-- and a bit of Impress & Calc. (Now about evenly divided as I have learned and depend upon the other two areas as extensively as Writer).

I always thought it was "All or Nothing" (for which I was glad and appreciative). Thank you for your kind correction and update.

letchworth

9. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

LOL np but my question is still not answered

10. ferrija1

ferrija1

Well you might want to at least double check. Look at the hard drive's properties.

11. JohnWill

AFAIK, you can't download parts. OTOH, it's very easy to install whatever features you like. Here's the screen during the "custom" installation where you select the desired components. It's really very simple.

Attached Files:

• 00.jpg
      00.jpg
      File size:
      55.6 KB
      Views:
  12. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

I checked in program files, its 239 MB, i am going close this thread and ask Open Office

Thanks all

13. ferrija1

ferrija1

I said to check the hard drive, not the download.

We can't help you if you can't help us. :rolleyes:

14. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I just went to download OpenOffice at their website and it gave me no options to just download Writer. But Johnwill is correct....you can chose to just install what you want.

15. JohnWill

Since he's already downloaded the complete package, I'm at a total loss as to what the issue is. :confused: :confused: :confused:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/571655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice