1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Open Office Writer

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dDAPPete, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dDAPPete

dDAPPete Thread Starter

Anyone use this and have comments. I thought this would be a cheap (free) text writing software for my 92 year old Dad but it may not be all that it is cracked up to be. I think it is advertised as being a greate "generic" for Word, Excel, power point, etc. but I find the Writer part of the software a little odd. It has an odd way of introducing it's own format after a "carriage return" when you don't want it (specifically outline form format) and it can oddly wrap information off the page altogether.

When all is said and done maybe I should buy him a copy of Word 2003 ( wouldn't need all of Office either, just Word).

pete

2. letchworth

letchworth

Does it work EXACTLY like Microsoft Word? No, but- like MSWord, there is a learning curve--- If he is experienced in MSWord-- at his age I'd buy him what he is used to-- BUT if he is learning whatever program you give him-- OpenOffice is a great Office Suite. I have used it for several years and do not miss MSWord at all.

The specific feature you mention can be turned off-- again, it is a learning process.

If all he needs is a very good word processor and you want it to be capable of reading and writing in the MSWord (.doc) format-- another consideration might be AbiWord. No spreadsheet, no presentation software, no database--- just a quick loading word processor that can read/write .doc format---- And it is totally FREE also
    http://www.abisource.com/

Good luck in your choice
    letchworth

3. dDAPPete

dDAPPete Thread Starter

and can you tell me how to turn the feature(s) off? I relay most stuff to him over the phone.

4. letchworth

letchworth

I'm away from home right now & no copy of OOo on this machine-- (Perhaps someone else who uses OOo can correct me)-- I would look under Tools> Options> Writer> Auto-format.

You can definitely turn it off (I hope I have gotten you somewhere near the right spot-- I'll check it & update the suggestion if I'm far off).

Good luck (Over the phone?? Wow, that's good)
    letchworth

5. dDAPPete

dDAPPete Thread Starter

1. Go up and click on "Format"
    2. Come down to "Autoformat"
    3. A little menu will open up and you may see a checkmark by the word "while Typing"
    4. Click on the "while typing"
    5. You should now be able to type and do Returns without seeing outline form

6. letchworth

letchworth

Good job- thanks for the correction (now you're the expert!)

letchworth

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice