1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Opening any Windows Explorer folders disconnects my internet for about a minu

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Heretic2, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Heretic2

Heretic2 Thread Starter

Any time I open up a windows explorer folder such as My Computer or anything else like that, my internet with go through a cycle where it tells me its

No Internet Connection Detected
    Connected
    Searching for Internet Connection
    No Internet Connection Detected
    Connected
    No Networks Available

then after a while of the last one, its connected again. I can keep the windows window open the whole time and the internet wont disconnect again.

Also, it disconnects all computers on the network both wired and wireless.

Some sort of virus or a strange bug?

2. Heretic2

Heretic2 Thread Starter

Sorry I need to bump this..

perhaps this should be moved to networking?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please describe your complete network, beginning with your ISP and including modem, router(s), switch(es) and how everything is interconnected.

Does this PC have any mapped network drives?

4. Heretic2

Heretic2 Thread Starter

Ok.

My ISP is called 3web, one of those cheap small isps that rent lines from larger isps..very slow..used to be fast..but now very slow..

No idea what kind of modem it is. I have a D-Link something router. Two computers connected by wires. A laptop and occasionally an ipod by wireless.

btw, this just started happening a week or two ago and I can't pinpoint what triggered it. No hardware changes or anything..

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Should I admit that this issue doesn't make much sense to me, and I'm just fishing around? :)

I assume that the problem computer is connected by ethernet. Right?

The only relation I can think of between networking and Windows Explorer is mapped network drives. You're not using any, right? Wish I were on my 7 machine now. What is in the My Computer window that may be network related somehow--media streaming or whatever? Did you do make any changes in this area around the time the problem started?

To double check that I'm understanding--not only this computer but all the other ones lose their connection to the router for a minute or so? The router, as near as you can tell, maintains its connection to the modem/ISP?

6. Heretic2

Heretic2 Thread Starter

No network drives.

I remember a while ago I was screwing around with media streaming..but pretty sure it started a few weeks after that..

and yes, all computers lose their connection when my 7 machine opens up a folder.

also. not lights are different on the router or the modem when internet is disconnected.

I'm wondering if it could be some sort of virus...

7. Heretic2

Heretic2 Thread Starter

Seems you were right about media streaming.

I searched through all my installed programs and found a media streaming codec pack, which I uninstalled, now the problem is gone.

Thanks!

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

How bizarre. Thanks for posting the solution.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ditto! :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/874200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice