1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Opening .dbx Files.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Fredfromoz, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fredfromoz

Fredfromoz Thread Starter

Can anyone help me please? I am using MIE6 and OE6. In my OE Inbox I have, or rather, had two sub-folders "To Answer' and 'To Read', which have vanished in to the ether. I did not delete them, but OE did crash the other day and they may have crashed with it.
    If i go toC:\Windows\ApplicationData\Identities\Microsoft\Outlook Express the two files are there with a .dbx file extension.
    I have tried opening them with MSWord and WordPad but all I get is a mass of hiroglyphics (Sorry if that is spelt wrong) that means nothing to me at all.
    I urgently need these emails back, so can anyone tell me how to open a .dbx file in a format I can read?
    Thanks in advance.
    Fredfromoz.

2. jmatt

jmatt

DBX files damaged .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/internetnews/story/0,7369,798807,00.html
    If an Outlook Express database (dbx) file is broken, there does not seem to be any way to repair
    it without losing its contents. The best option is therefore to save any recent mail, by
    dragging it from Outlook Express to a folder in Windows Explorer, and then replace the broken
    Inbox.dbx file with your back-up copy. (If the back-up is from CD, be sure to right-click the
    file and change it from Read-Only first.) You can restore the most recent email by dragging it
    from its folder in Windows Explorer and dropping it into Outlook Express, when it is open at
    Inbox.

Alternatively you can close Outlook Express and rename Inbox.dbx to something else, such as
    Oldinbox.dbx. When you restart Outlook Express offline, it will notice Inbox.dbx is missing and
    automatically create a new one. You can then put your back-up inbox.dbx file in a temporary
    directory and import it. Do this by going to File|Import| Messages, selecting the correct
    program, then clicking the lower radio button to import mail from a store folder. The unofficial
    OE FAQ at www.tomsterdam.com/insideOE offers help with this and other OE problems. Also see the
    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q270670, How to Back Up and Recover Outlook Express Data.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=270670

You can find this by searching Google for Q270670. However, if you do not have a recent backup,
    you should download Stephen Cochran's free program, DBXtract, from >
    http://chattanooga.net/~scochran/DBXtract.htm.

This will extract all the mail from any dbx file and save each message as a separate plain text
    file. These files are named from the Subject line and have an eml extension, so, again, you can
    put them back in your mailbox by dragging them from Windows Explorer and dropping them in
    Outlook Express. An even better solution would be to import them into a proper database.
    This does that .
    StoMail from > http://home.sprintmail.com/~1854316/

3. Fredfromoz

Jmatt, Just reading your reply, thanks for it. The best option for me seems to be Stephen Cochran's, but I keep getting a 404 whenever I try to access it. Could you check it out again please?
    Whereabouts are you in W.A.? I am in Hilton, just Southeast of Fremantle. Perhaps you could email me Stephen's program at:-
    [email protected] if it's not too much trouble for you.
    Thanks again,
    Fredfromoz.

4. steamwiz

steamwiz

5. jmatt

jmatt

Thanks for the new link , steam .

6. Fredfromoz

Steamwiz and Jmatt, Thank you guys so much, I have got them all back thanks to the URL you posted Steamwiz. What a simple little program, but what it does is miraculous.
    Thanks a lot once more.
    Fredfromoz.

7. steamwiz

steamwiz

Fredfromoz and Jmatt

You are both very welcome

steam

8. BaileySydney

BaileySydney

Thank you so much, steamwiz, for the link you posted above. I've been on my phone with tech support for the better part of two hours trying to solve this problem to no avail.

That link you provided worked like gem and it was so simple too. I now have all my emails back and only the address book is still missing.

Bailey

9. jmatt

jmatt

Thanks all , shall fix my link .

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice