1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Opening desktop apps. slowed drastically.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ezjim, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ezjim

ezjim Thread Starter

I'm running XP, and downloaded serv. pk 2. Seems like little problems started then. Also downloaded newer ver. of Eudora. Began to have mail problems. Bought Norton Antivirus and tried but failed to install it because of a glitch. Found this forum and read some of the replies. Took NAV back and downloaded AVG Antivirus. Scanned system and found no errors. Also down loaded ZoneAlarm Security Suite and ran reg. fixes and scans. Optimized HD. The scans found a lost file .."mscoree.dll", I tried to find it at Microsoft but haven't had much success. Don't know if the lost file is the key to my problems. Bottom line is after all the fixes....desktop is still really slow to respond. Internet access is doing great though.. Also dumped IE and downloaded FireFox. It seems to work great....I'm running out of ideas, please help...ezjim

2. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Hate to say this, but I found that Zone Alarm does not agree with my system.

If you unhide hidden files and folders do a search for mscoree.dll , it is part of the Microsoft .NET Runtime Execution Engine.

Check for updates at Windows Update.

3. ezjim

ezjim Thread Starter

Tom Ram-Page, Thanks for your input. I've solved some problems and added some more since Feb. 14. Changed to FireFox changed to SBC/DSL (from Dialup). Also found ZoneAlarm works really well for me. Thanks Again...ezjim

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!