Solved: opening links from email

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bhamlinda

win2000
I'm not sure when this began happening but it's more a pain in the fanny than a real problem.
When I try to click on a link in an email nothing happens. I know there's a way to fix this but cannot recall what it is.
Thanks.

bhamlinda

Hi, EA,
Tried the first one, it didn't work
Then read this on the microsoft site that you mentioned:
Windows 2000
1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
2. Click Tools, click Folder Options, and then click File Types.
3. In the Registered File Types box, click URL:File Transfer Protocol, and then click Advanced.
4. In the Actions box, click Open, and then click Advanced.
5. The Application Used To Perform Action box may display the path to your Web browser as a short file name or as an incorrect path. Type the path to your Web browser with the full file name. For example, the following path may appear in the Application Used To Perform Action box.
c:\progra~1\intern~1\iexplore.exe
Change the path to the following path:
"c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe" (including the quotation marks).
6. Click OK, and then click Close.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 for the following registered file types:• URL:Gopher Protocol
• URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol
• URL:Hypertext Transfer protocol with Privacy
• URL:Internet Shortcut

8. Click Close.
Note If you follow these steps, you may receive the following prompt when Internet Explorer starts:
Internet Explorer is not currently your default browser. Would you like to make it your default browser?
Make sure that the Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default browser check box is not selected under Internet Options, or the issue may occur again.

Now when I get to File Types - step 3
The only URL listed there is URL Internet shortcut
When I click on Advance for that one and then click on open there is no Advanced button.
Should I click on "New" in the "File Types" tab and add the other URL things listed in this.
I know I probably sound as dense as they come. I am trying to learn some fear of this monster as I've messed up so much by just plunging in and giving it my best shot.
Thanks

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
This is what shows for my File types, Windows XP:
Click the Extensions or File Types column header to sort by that column.

Just check under each of these file types to see if their settings show the following:

• URL:File Transfer Protocol
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" %1
  • URL:Gopher Protocol
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome
  • URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
  • URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

Check each Registered File Type:

Click Advanced,
Click on the action: Open,
Click Edit
Look in the: Application used to perform action: window to check your settings.

If that doesn't help, I'll post another picture. :)

bhamlinda

Thanks, EA, I had to sort by file type.
Mine are the same as yours except I have %1 at the end after -nohome in both gopher protocol and hypertext transfer protocol
It will not let me remove those

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
The %1 is fine.

With all windows closed:
Start > Run
Key in:
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

You should see a message for each .dll saying if the command was successful or not so wait for it.

If links still do not open a browser, repeat the process with these additional .dlls:
Start > Run
Key in:
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or nothing occurs after you click a link

bhamlinda

WOW and kisses on your lips!!!!!!!!
It worked after the first one. Am I right in assuming since it's fixed to stop?
Thanks so much!!!!!!(y) (y) (y)

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes, you can stop. :D

A peck on the cheek or a high five will work. :p

It reregistered the urlmon.dll file. Internet Explorer must have forgotten who it was. ;)

You can mark your thread solved using the Thread Tools drop down menu at the top of the page.

bhamlinda

Poor ole windows is getting forgetful :D
I promise not to actually kiss you :D
Thanks again!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online