1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Opening Lotus 123 files in Excel

Discussion in 'Archive: Business Applications' started by MzLizz, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MzLizz

MzLizz Thread Starter

Hello again all.

I'm trying to open a Lotus 123 file in Excel to convert it to Excel. It's been working fine. But this one particular file gives me the error message: "Cannot Open Lotus 123 file"

It is saved in the current version of Lotus just like the rest.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!
    ~Mz

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> It is saved in the current version of Lotus just like the rest

(I'm guessing since I've never done owt with 123) suggests the file itself is corrupt. Or (totally guessing) has incompatible features that the others don't.

Can you try another machine? If it's OK to mail I'd be glad to have a go.

Rgds,
    Andy

3. MzLizz

MzLizz Thread Starter

Good Morning XL! Thanks for your answer!

I'm going to email you the file. I thought the problem could have been that it was a .123 file instead of a .WK4 file. But, I've saved it as a .WK4 file so that shouldn't be it.

The file is 5 worksheets. If I try to save it as an .XLS file in Lotus it gives me an error saying "This workbook contains multiple sheets. To avoid losing information, save it to a file type that allows multiple sheets.

And... I tried copy/paste from Lotus to Excel, but it loses its formulas.

Eek!

Any help you could offer would be appreciated!
    ~Mz

4. roseventura

roseventura

I am having the same problem with 1 of 2 files I was sent. I work in IT Support and someone sent me 2 *.wk4 files to convert to XLS. I was able to convert on, but I am receiving the "cannot open Lotus 123 file" on the second. I have tried several different approaches, but nothing is working. I tried renaming the file and saving it first to desktop. No go.

5. jimr381

jimr381

I wonder if the file is macro enabled. Ask them how the two files differ so we can try to figure out what they have done differently. Maybe they have a list established? Also please make sure you are running the most recent compatibility pack. What version of Excel are you using?

6. roseventura

roseventura

Unfortunately the end user does not know if the Lotus file has a macro in it.

To answer your other questions, I am using Excel 2003.

Not much help I know...:(

Thanks,

Rose

7. jimr381

jimr381

What about saving it as an Excel file directly from Lotus 123?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/176905