Solved: Opening old files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PollyWog

I have some old documents that won't open any more. I guess the old Word isn't compatible with the new Word, but I'm not sure how to fix this. Details:
I'm using Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5.
I'm now using Microsoft Word for Mac 2008 version 2.1.0. (I download all the updates I'm sent, so I don't know why it is only 2008.)
Sample old document uses Microsoft Word 1.x-5.x document; document created 4/3/03.
http://b.tsgstatic.com/smilies/redface.gif
Thanks.

PollyWog

I don't get any message. The document simply won't open. I double-click, and nothing happens. One of the docs says "Created 1/10/08; Modified 1/10/08; Last opened 1/10/08; Kind: Microsoft Word 1.x - 5.x document."
The icon is different than the icon that is used in Word now, too.

PollyWog

I went to the support website and was studying it when my husband showed me that I can open these old files if I open Word first and then click on "open." (as opposed to double-clicking) I thought I had already tried that, but I must not have done it the correct way. So the problem is solved.
Thank you to both people who gave me suggestions!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online