1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Opening saved Windows mail documents in Win.8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Cheryl, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

I bought a new Dell laptop with windows 8 as the operating system. I transferred all my saved documents onto the new laptop. Some emails I had saved that were received in Windows mail program will not open in Windows 8. I can't read them now. Is there some program/app that will allow me to see these saved emails?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You were using Vista's Windows Mail? How were the messages saved?

Are you able to read some of the saved email, on none of it?

Are you still able to use the old system and email client?

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

Hi Terry .... yes I was using Microsoft Mail in Vista. If I got an email I wanted to save I would just click file - save as and then put it in my documents. Yes I can still use my old laptop (Vista) and Windows Mail.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK; I'm guessing that they were saved as .eml files (that's normal for email messages, but I don't know for sure about Windows Mail). If they are .eml then I think pretty much any email client should be able to read them.

When you double click on the files in Windows 8 you are getting a "don't know what program to use" message?

What email client are you using in Windows 8?

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

Yes they were saved as .eml files .... I am using Yahoo mail client on Windows 8. It came with Outlook but had trouble incorporating my pop-3 mail client to Mail on this new laptop. You are right when I click to open a saved email it has suggestions on various programs that could open it .... well of course they don't.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Outlook should be able to handle those I would think. Is it just a trial, that you have to pay for after a month or so?

Had not heard of Yahoo! mail client, so had to look that up. From the description it seems to just be one of those Modern UI Apps (like Microsoft's Mail App) and not a "real" program. Don't know if those things can do much; I played with Microsoft's Mail App a little and it seems pretty limited.

You also should be able to open .eml in a browser (but you probably want to be careful to not make that the default program).

7. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    A very crude answer, but. If there are not an awful lot of them, you could send them to your new address?

8. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

Outlook did come with my new laptop and it's just a "trial". Not interested in purchasing when trial is over with.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A free email client should work. I use Mozilla's Thunderbird. Microsoft offers Windows Live Mail.

Or, as mentioned above, you should be able to open them in a browser to read them.

Or, as Dave suggested, you could forward them to yourself and receive them however you are now getting new mail.

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

Terry thank you so much. I will definitely try to open them in a browser - never tried this before. I will also check out Thunderbird. I do appreciate everyone's help.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Thread Starter

Thunderbird worked great and I was even able to add my road runner POP3 email account. Thank you so much.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You are quite welcome. :) Glad that Thunderbird came through for you.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!