1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Opening Spam to Determine Its Spamminess

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DocStrange, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocStrange

DocStrange Thread Starter

I opened a message, not knowing it was spam until I read the contents: Gmail did not filter it out, possibly because it was a new thing, I do not know. I did not click on any links contained inside of the email. Can something happen to my computer from just opening up an email in Gmail to check its contents so I can decide to mark it for spam in the first place?

This spam email was sent to me because I used to write a blog a few years ago (it still exists but I have discontinued writing it) and it wanted to include me or something like that on a shady sounding site called newport[dot]vi. Upon reading just the first line and deciding it was spam, I marked it as spam and emptied my spam folder.

I've always been confused about whether or not opening an email could infect a computer, and I do not detect any issues as of right now with my computer, or my Gmail account and AVG did not detect anything. I believe that if something would have been nasty like that, Gmail would have protected me.

Did I do the right thing? Should I have opened an email I suspected as spam that Gmail did not filter as spam to determine if it is? Did it matter that I did not click on anything? And if I made the wrong choice, would AVG or Firefox or Malwarebytes have picked up whatever it planned on infecting me with?

2. DocStrange

DocStrange Thread Starter

OK, so i've scanned my system with Spybot, Malwarebytes and AVG and detected nothing (well, except for some routine tracking cookies during the Spybot scan), and I do not notice anything unusual with Gmail. However, I'm not going to open anything I suspect to be junk anymore (I only opened it for about five seconds).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice