1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Opening up new IE8 page in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bj nick, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Ok, this one should be easy: How do I open up a new window in IE8 that opens to the home page, NOT a duplicate of the page I happen to be on.

Thanks!

2. timmy1986

timmy1986 Banned

left click the tab next to the home tab or the new tab button.

3. galoryber

galoryber

I was unaware this was an option, all the computers i use open new tabs or new instances of IE into the homepage. Do you have a homepage set in Tools > Internet Options ?

does this link pertain to your problem? http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...-browsing-session-in-ie8-internet-explorer-8/
    You may or may not be running a professional edition of Windows 7, but there is also a registry key described in that article. If that's something you decide to try, be sure to back up the registry before doing so, whether you create a system restore point, or have a personal favorite way of doing a registry backup.

Does this happen with a new Window/Instance of IE8 or when you open new Tabs? or Both?

4. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hi Galoryber, I do have a homepage set; it's igoogle. I am not sure if it's windows 7 pro or just home. I'd rather not get into registry stuff....

Timmie, I do get a new page with hitting that tab, but it is not my homepage; it says "what do you want to do next?" It is already an improvement, at least. But surprised I can't just open up a home page....

5. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Tools
    Internet options
    Tabs
    Select when new tab is opened go to first home page

6. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

THANK YOU BRETT! That was it.

Mark this one "resolved."

7. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Welcome :)

8. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Oops......spoke too soon. No matter what I do to change that setting, the new page will always come up as a duplicate of the page I happen to be on. I've included a screen shot of the tabs box, so you can see if maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'd appreciate if you'd look it over. Thanks!

Attached Files:

9. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Kind of hard to make out your screen shots...so I will send a couple

Attached Files:

10. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Brett, I carefully compared my setting to yours and they match 100%. However, if I hit control N, I get the same page I happen to be on....it will not open to my home page. Any ideas?

11. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I also get a duplicate when using Control N
    However opening a new tab via the toolbar or opening a new window with the IE shortcut opens me a google home page, Control N is a shortcut to open a duplicate of the current webpage
    Here is a link with IE shortcuts...I think what you are wanting is Control T

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie7/quickref.mspx

12. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Ok.....NOW this is resolved. Thanks, Brett; control T brings up a new page which opens to the home page, just what I wanted. Thanks!

13. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Welcome :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice