1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Openning a DLL

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by EasyNow1, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EasyNow1

EasyNow1 Thread Starter

I went to re build my i/e 6.0 and i was missing a dll, " MSXMLR.DLL", i found it and got it on my desktop, but when i try to open it all i get is an open with box, thats never happened before. How do i open it and then hopefully re build my i/e ? other dlls just auto open, what now ?? thanks :confused:

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

You don't open a .dll file. dll (Dynamic Link Library) files are used by other files (usually, but not always, programs).

If you were getting some message that the dll was missing, and now that you have located it, all you probably have to do is put that dll file into the correct folder location so that the program that utilizes can "find" your dll.

Chances are that dll file has to be placed in your "system32" folder (and that may be in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder - your location may be different). Once it is there, just start up that program again (or however you were getting your prior error message) and see if it now works.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    As a point of reference for anyone helping, it appears you used Easy Clean to get rid of "duplicate" .dll's prior to this problem ... I realize it's too late now but I never suggest running any of those types of software, they always cause problems and remove files that are needed. CleanSweep was another problem causer that comes to mind.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=271184

4. EasyNow1

EasyNow1 Thread Starter

ChuckE:
    I think i get it, i am just so use to dll s getting in to the right folder on their own and never used open with window -this dll belongs in i/e, so use find to get the i/e folder, open it, then drag that dll into folder, then close it and try re building i /e, it should work? fingers crossed, is that what you mean ?

Bryan- i now know that, assumed easyclean was goof proof- never again - thx -is their a save reg clean to use, for dumbies?? bye and does it help?? bye

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

I don't know what you mean by rebuilding, you don't build, nor rebuild IE, (I think you mean IE - Internet Explorer, not "i/e"... please correct me if I am wrong). You just need to re-install IE. Installing it should place all needed files into their correct locations. If some files are not found, while doing a re-install, it is not the IE that is probably missing the file but the process of unpacking and installing it that finds the dll missing. I say that since the install of IE should have all needed files already there. Whereas the process of installing is calling upon some Operating System (Windows) task that is missing.

Confusing? you bet!

If the only message you get by trying to start IE is that a particular dll is missing, then just replacing the lost dll may just get it functioning again. To replace the dll you just copy, or move, the correct dll into wherever it needs to be - however you want to do it.
    If you need to open a folder to get a file into there, then do that. There are other methods as well, do whatever is comfortable for you.

If you think your missing "MSXMLR.DLL" belongs in "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" folder then put it in there. It won't hurt. If IE still can't find it then put it into the location where I mentioned before, "C:\WINDOWS\system32," because that is where mine is. Not all the dll's are going to be in the same folder, especially with very involved and intertwined programs like IE. Many of the dll's are going to have to be where the Operating System (your Windows) can find it, not necessarily the program (IE in this case) that you started.

Good luck.

6. EasyNow1

EasyNow1 Thread Starter

thanks i mean internet explorer, 6.0 and you rebuild it (w98 v2) by going to the control panel, clicking add/remove programs, then high lite, internet ex, click remove that gives you the option of adding parts or re building to fix errors. . . works for me, umn maybe not for your OS ?
    i guess the only way to fully delete, then re intall inter ex is to use find, but then how do you get to that web site for installing, would never go that far - bye

7. ChuckE

ChuckE

I just checked W98se (that is Second Edition, which you seem to want to call v2), the selection of Add/Remove Programs, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and clicking on [Add/Remove] comes up with 3 selections:
    - Add a component
    - Repair Internet Explorer
    - Restore the previous Windows configuration
    there is no "re-building"

If you want to correct some possible IE problems, you might take that last selection, to restore the previous configuration, which will take you back to IE v5.5 (or v5 if you had that last).
    Then, once you are back at that prior version, just go to the Windows Update website and re-load the latest version of IE, which will be v6.

FYI, The term "re-build" in computerese is typically where a person takes the source code of an application, and re-compiles the code, thus creating new code. There may be other variations of that same term, as well, but re-building is not what you do when installing, or re-installing, or repairing Internet Explorer.

8. EasyNow1

EasyNow1 Thread Starter

picky, picky, picky, i meant repair inter exp and i noticed something strange about those 3 choices for me, the 3rd one is grayed out , whats that about and whats the fix ! ? thanks

9. stueycaster

stueycaster

I used to have a computer with Windows 98. When I tried to update Internet Explorer 5.5 to I/E 6.0 it warned me that there might be problems. Sure enough there were. It started locking up. So I uninstalled the upgrade ( add/remove programs ). This made my system unbootable. I ended up formatting my hard drive starting over.

It's my understanding that Internet Explorer 6.0 was designed for Windows XP. XP is a derivative of Windows NT. NT and XP are totally different from Windows 9x. They are so different that when XP first came out there was the XP compatibility issue with older peripherals.

I would suggest sticking with Internet Explorer 5.5 . I/E 6.0 is meant for another operating system.

I may be wrong. I'm not that much of a computer nerd. Just a wannabe.

10. ChuckE

ChuckE

I can only guess that the reason for the 3rd selection being grayed out is that somehow your uninstall files have been removed or altered, so then the ability to back-step to your previous version no longer is valid, and the Windows Add/Remove function "knows" it. It would take a bit of experimentation, but I know I could figure out a way to make Windows think that the re-install of your IE v6 is needed. But, of course, that doesn't help you.

I suggest that you find a Windows install disk, and see if you can first disable your current IE, then look on the install disk to install (or reinstall) IE - whatever version. If it isn't IE v6 then just going to the Windows Update website again should get you a new install of IE v6.

As for being picky :) - computers force me to be that way, sorry.
    Talk to a carpenter and ask him for two quotes, one for rebuilding your house, and the second for just repairing your house. I'll bet it costs a lot more to rebuild it.

Last point, I don't think there is anything inherent in IE v6 that makes it exclusively for Windows XP. I have been using IE v6 on my Win98se PC's (I have three of those) for years. I wouldn't say they are any the less stable because I have IE v6. Not to rule out some people's problems with that combination. But I would think the real issue is probably other software, and usually it is, more often than not, the video driver software that cause some conflict.

11. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    No. I ran IE6 on Windows ME quite happily (well...as happily as I can be with dialup).

Same here. But i'm learning :D .

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice