1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: OpenOffice.Org V2.0 has spat the dummy!

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Serge_N_Gin, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin Thread Starter

Hi,

This is my problem:

I have openoffice.org 2.0 and X11 installed on my iMac G5 and I run OS 10.4.7.

I have been working on a very important doc and everything was working fine yesterday, but this morning when I tried to launch the document, X11 didn't launch first as it should.

OpenOffice launched on its own then 5 seconds later I received a message from it that the command timed out.

Usually if I double-click on the documents icon on my desktop, X11 launches 1st then OO.Org launches and opens the document.

So I quit OO.Org and I launched X11 on its on and it quit within 5 seconds.

I re-installed X11 from the C.D. and dragged the old X11 from the Utilities folder along with OO.Org, to the trash and deleted them.

Then I re-downloaded OO.Org 2.0 and when I returned to my iMac there was a notice in the download window that the image failed to mount.

I tried installing the OO.O.dmg but nothing has changed and I still cant access the doc.

Could someone please help me with advice on what i need to do to get around this frustrating situation.

The doc was a mix of jpegs and word processing. Is there another app that can open .odt files?

2. superhall

superhall

I'm not sure of another application that can open .odt files. Be sure to try "Text Edit" and "MS Word" (if you have it). Since your document is basically a word processing document, you could try out a trick I use sometimes. Duplicate your document and then change the ".odt" to ".doc" or ".txt". It's a cheap trick, but it has a tendancy to work! Hope that helps.

3. Serge_N_Gin

Thanks superhall, but the problem I feel lies with X11 which is needed to run OOo.

X11 just wont run properly and crashes despite being reinstalled from my Tiger CD.

4. Pensacola Tiger

Pensacola Tiger

5. Serge_N_Gin

thanks for the tip, Pensacola Tiger....the problem now is that my iMac G5 went to sleep last night and wont wake up now....tried turning the power off/on, disconnectint/reconnecting peripherals but its on but asleep.....?????

My problems are doubled now.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice