[SOLVED] Operating system not found on any devices

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shamrock

Last night when I 'woke' my computer up I got a quick flash of a screen message that said something about automatically updating Disk 3 CD rom. There were 3 loud 'clunk' sounds. Then the Compaq screen came on and after that the message 'operating system not found on any devices..press any key to try again. Nothing happened.
I turned the computer off then on again and got the clunk sounds again etc.... So I turned it off for the night.
This morning it started up normal... no clunks... it did say it was updating the cd rom disk 3 again but then it went in to the normal start up screen.

Could some sequence just have gotten 'out of whack?' and then it 'fixed' itself?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Could you figure out where the 'clunking' sound was coming from? If it's coming from the hard drive....that is not a good sign....you may want to start backing things up..... :(

What Aca said....

"Clunking" sounds are spinning objects
meeting metal resistance.

egad... back up your HDD while you can.

Shamrock

Yes, it was the hard drive. Had to replace it... lost a lot of info... I know.... back up your info.... I did have some but not nearly enough backed up:(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online