1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Operating system problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twizzie, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

One day few weeks back I turned on my home built comp. and It stated that there was a file missing. And this wasn't the first time I got this error. But I knew what to do, format and re-install windows. (kept a back up hard drive for all my files since this happens every 3- 4 months) But this time, when I try to install it, the setup procedure stated that there was a file that I couldn't install, actually there were several. It gave me an option to either retry or skip this file which could result in a malfunctioning os. I had no option but to skip it. And when it was done, it rebooted and a blue error screen message came up. I have re-formatted and re-installed at least 4 to 5 times, the hard drive is not the problem and neither is the disc. I have a dell laptop, and I used the os disc that came with it, the same error came up. I even changed the cd-drive from which it was reading the cd from, but no luck or results, techguy please help :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Faulty memory will cause missing file errors and errors during the installation that files cannot be copied. Test the memory by running several passes of Memtest86+ to rule it out as the cause: http://www.memtest.org/

3. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

Nope, wasn't the memory, I fixed the computer, I;m actually typing on it right now, and downloading all the drivers and stuff

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad you fixed it, what was it? It may help others to know what it was.

5. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

I'm not sure, it was repetition if anything, I must of formatted and tried to install windows at least half a dozen times, but I gave it to my dad and he did the same thing and it worked the first time.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Odd, maybe it was something connected to the computer at your place.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!